Empire State Building


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
October 19th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

ESB FoyerESB FoyerESB Foyer

We enjoyed the building's Art Deco style. The brochure says the rebuilding program is nearly complete and the iconic building is more impressive than ever.
Geo: 40.7483, -73.9856

Smooth drive to NYC but we got hopelessly snarled in traffic for several blocks in Manhattan's Garment District. It's definitely every person for themselves: drivers and pedestrians alike! Traffic lights are advisory, with pedestrians ignoring the police, even when they are directing traffic at the same crossing. No problems checking in to our hotel or returning the hire car.

So we paid our US$52 each to go to the Empire State Building outdoor viewing platform (86th floor) and then on to the observation deck on floor 102. The fee was a bit steep but I don't expect to do this again. I seem to recall the "Top of the Rock" was better value.

Then we walked to the Stephen Sondheim Theatre and bought tickets to Friday night's performance of "Beautiful" - the Carole King musical. I hope it matches the superb "Jersey Boys", that we first saw in 2012.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

L86 viewing platformL86 viewing platform
L86 viewing platform

Great weather again, and not too crowded. The lifts stop at L80 where there is much information around the walls. Then different lifts to L86. 3.8 million people visit L86 per year - serious income generated.
ESB looking north...ESB looking north...
ESB looking north...

The tallest cubist building in the centre was only completed about 18 months ago. It is 432 Park Avenue, a building of condos. We were told that the penthouse sold recently for $95M.
L102 Observation DeckL102 Observation Deck
L102 Observation Deck

A small area with only the mooring spire rising above this. The plan was to moor blimps or airships to the ESB but the winds were too strong and there was never a successful docking.
Madison Square GardenMadison Square Garden
Madison Square Garden

Scalpers asked if we wanted to buy (or sell) tickets to the Rangers game. We had to ask to find out it was an ice hockey match. MSG is home to the Rangers and to the basketball Knicks.


21st October 2016

Sel, Rob,Ahhhh!! NY NY! Gotta luv that place, sometimes despite itself! Make sure you walk and walk. And, if/when you do, look up!! I look forward to hearing of your experiences.Did you know that they have changed the definition of the
nano-second? It is now defined as the time between a red light turning green in NYNY and the first car horn sounding. They have found this definition to be repeatable and consistent!

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb