New York, New York so good they named it twice!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
September 12th 2015
Published: September 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Well this is the last blog of our 2015 trot round the globe and what a year it has been but before I go into meltdown it's a new destination, The Big Apple. We arrived in one piece, just a short 1hr 2 min flight from Toronto but when we landed at JFK it looked more like Manchester airport, thick cloud and pouring with rain!! Anyway we jumped on an airport bus which took us for half the price of a taxi to downtown. We could have jumped off here and got on another bus but the driver said it would be quicker for us if we walked. New York traffic can be very slow going! Our hotel is on 34th Street which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Empire State Building. Dropped the bags and headed out to orientate ourselves, found Broadway and the theatres, Macys, and a great Irish bar just down the road as it started to hoof it down again. thought we would have an early night so that we would be fresh the next day but New York never stops and I think it all went on outside our hotel all night.

Little jaded this morning but still we are up and out for 8am. It's 9/11 and we wanted to go to Ground Zero to pay our respects. The memorial and museum and all the roads around the area are closed to the general public until 3pm to allow friends and families to hold a service in which every name is read out. Knowing this we still set off to see how near we could get and as soon as we got off the subway there were people just stood on the pavements looking at the skyline remembering what happened. Huge security on the streets today, I have never seen to many Police and Fire Fighters, many were taking part in the memorial service but the Police, snipers, helicopters etc were all on high alert. There were a lot of fire trucks lined up and Baz went to speak to some of the guys to pay his respects and they were impressed with his T Shirt and the fact that he had made the effort to mark the occasion in a small way. We walked around the area and went into Trinity church to light a candle and say a prayer. It was very emotional so we decided to take some time out and return later in the day when it opened to the public. As we were down that end of the city we walked along the Esplanade, through Battery Park and over to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. It was a lovely walk just ambling along the Hudson River, the gardens were beautiful and the waterfront immaculate. I don't really know what we were expecting but it definitely wasn't to see so much green space, not a piece of litter or graffiti anywhere. It was great. Going across to Staten Island is free on the ferry and takes about half an hour to cross, you have to run the gauntlet of the ticket touts all selling tickets for cruises etc but you get a great view of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. When we jumped off at the other end we walked down the steps and went to the Staten Island 9/11 memorial which was for the first responders. A lovely tribute and you looked through two arches to the skyline across the water. Of course there were wreathes and for each person who had lost there life there were flowers on the wall by their names. Back over the water and time for a much needed coffee stop. feeling refreshed we set off for Wall Street, we saw the statue of the famous charging Bull which stands at the head of the financial district, at the front of the NY stock exchange and then we had to have a New York hot dog. We sat and ate them on the big golden shaped nuggets that line Wall Street, it was well tasty, we had them with ketchup and onions!! We then ventured into Federal Hall on Wall Street which was a fantastic building. It has a large statue of George Washington outside at the top of the steps and he has a commanding position keeping his eye on all the comings and goings of the traders. Inside the building was a stone slab that the said Mr Washington stood on when he was sworn in as the very first president of the USA On 30 April 1789. There is also the Iron Railing from the original balcony and the bible that had been hastily bought that day at the local book shop that was used by him to swear his oath. Anyway it was now getting to 3pm so we made our way back to the 9/11 memorial but before getting to ground zero we visited the Fire House and next door is the memorial centre. When the girls in there saw Baz in his T Shirt they let us in for free and took us downstairs where there were people giving little talks about their own personal experiences of the day. One lady spoke about the horrors she saw, the smells of death and devastation but also of the friends made, the endurance of the human spirit and the compassion shown by everyday people wanting to help in whatever way they could. It was harrowing and heartwarming at the same time. There are photos of the people who lost their lives and notes that families had originally passed to the authorities giving the names and descriptions of their loved ones, even down to the height and weight. Unfortunately many many people never got their loved ones back in any way as so many were just completely incinerated or vaporised. One chap spoke of how he watched a sea of people jumping to their deaths and how even now it's difficult for him to come back to the area. After this we went across the way to the Twin Towers memorial and what an absolutely fitting tribute, it's thought provoking, dignified, beautiful, peaceful and an incredible tribute to all those you tragically were in the wrong place at the wrong time. We spent quite a bit of time there and Baz found a couple of Firemen who had been friends of the chief Pete Gansey who sadly died. Baz especially wanted to find his name on the memorial as he had had dinner with him only months before 9/11 so this was quite a reflective sad part of the day. By now we were on a bit of a low and decided that we would walk off our sadness by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a bit of a way but the views were great and after getting to the other side, guzzling some pizza (not a very healthy day) we made our way to the waters edge and watched the day turn into night. All the lights of the city together with the search lights that illuminate the sky where the Twin Towers should have been, the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges and the distant Statue of Liberty all made for a fitting end to a exhausting day. Wandered back across the bridge, feet pulsing and aching but in a very good way. Looking forward to a shower and bed, totally bushed.

Another day so armed with a to do list we set off. It was a walk down 5th Ave to the Public Library, what a totally beautiful building with two lions guarding it and steps leading up. It was actually where they filmed one of the Ghostbusters films. Inside the architecture is stunning and the ceilings so ornate and marble everywhere. Hanging a right and up to Central Station, such an iconic building with it's clock. we felt as though we already knew it from being on the telly and in movies but I don't think we were prepared for how big it is. There is a complete dinning and market area underneath, shops and of course so many train lines. The ceilings are all painted with the horoscope signs and it quite impressed us with it's magnificence. Quick look at the Chrysler building next door and then we walked back through the station and up to The Waldorf Astoria on Park Ave. I really fancied staying here but it was a bit pricey but now we have been I can see why, it's a beautiful hotel and it was on the list as I wanted to go and see Cole Porters piano which sits in the bar area. After this I dragged Bazi round St Bartholomews church and then St Patricks church, both incredible buildings. There was a mass going on in St Patricks so we sat for a while and listened to the cardinal. Off to the Rockerfeller Centre and Plaza, outside the building is a large square that has a restaurant there in the summer and a skating rink in the winter. It has a nice tiered garden and it's good to sit and have a coffee and watch NY life go by for a while. Following on we walked up 6th Ave to Central Park. You kinda have to run the ticket touts selling bike hire, carriage rides, rinkshaw tours all for about $3 a minute. If we had got in we would have been saying don't spare the horses or pedal at 90mph. Paying by the minute is a bit risky. As usual we did the on foot thing, I have worn one pair of fit fops all around the world, they have been so comfy and they don't look a bit worn which is good. Anyway there are official park guides that give great info and free maps, be sure to go to these kiosks otherwise you could pay €1 for a map and then get given a loud of old spiel that could cost you more!!! We had our to do list which included Bethesda Terrace and fountain, Bow Bridge, The Lake and Strawberry Fields. The last being a garden area dedicated and funded by Yoko Lennon in memory of John Lennon. It's an area with lots of shrubs from all over the world and it attracts the odd guitar singing enthusiast that is a bit prone to singing "Imagine". We finished off by visiting The Dakota building on 72nd Street where John Lennon had lived opposite the park. By this time we were getting a bit pooped, feet just about bearing up so we headed back downtown and through Times Square. OMG it's lively, it's full on, very loud and vibrant, and people dressed up as different superheros. There was even a pink Spider-man, couldn't quite suss this out and neither could the kids who apparently thought it was super uncool to have your picture taken with pink spidey!! There was a man and woman completely naked having their bodies painted. He had a bright blue tadge although it wasn't cold??? Anything goes in The Big Apple. We walked down Broadway back to our hotel feelin that another good day had been had. Just time for a shower and free wine in the bar before heading out for some nosh and collapso into bed for some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Today it's a visit to The Empire State Building, we purchased fast track tickets from the official guides on the street which actually worked out as the same price as the ordinary tickets from the hotel. We bought the tickets that took us up as far as the 86th floor to the outdoor observatory deck. You can go up another 6 floors to 102th but we were assured that it wasnt worth it as it is inside and the views were not as good. The building itself is very Art Deco and took just one year to build from 1930-1931. All the famous pictures you see of the steel workers sitting on a girders eating there butties 86 floors up were from this building. Very scary, health and safety now would be apoplectic at such a sight!! The lift up is very slow in comparison to today's lifts but there is something very charming about it and one of the strange phenonoma that can happen when you kiss at the top is that you can get a little electric shock, apparently. On Valentines day some couples carefully selected can actually get married at the top, and obviously it is most famous for King Kong hanging off the top with Naomi Watts (1933 film) in his clutches. Although I kept thinking about where Jonas was sitting waiting for Meg Ryan to turn up and meet his Dad Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle, who doesn't love a bit of romance. After this we made our way down 5th Ave to Washington Square and Greenwich Village, a great area full of bars and restaurants, very bohemian and some very colourful characters. There was a folk festival on in the park which we sat and listened to for a while and a fountain in the middle which lots of people were taking advantage of and dipping their toes in. Unfortunately during the afternoon the black clouds started to collect so we found ourselves hurrying back down 5th towards shelter. Another foot troubling day, wish we had brought a pedometer with us as it would have been very interesting to see how many miles around the globe we have done on foot. A much needed appointment with the chiropodist is required on our return home!! Ended the day with free happy hour in the hotel followed by an Indian curry.

Well today the weather is good, the sun is shining so we have set off downtown on the underground to South Ferry station on the red line. It's actually the end of the line and they come round telling you to get off immediately. Headed over to the ferry terminal with our fast track tickets in hand to do Liberty Island and Ellis Island. The ferry gets pretty full and I think I heard the guy say we have 800 on board and we are defo full!! On hindsight I think we should have stayed on and done Ellis Island first as the queues moving on and going back to NY were so long although with 800 people on a boat it didn't take long for the lines to go down. Anyway the Statue of Liberty loomed in front of us and it is such an iconic landmark that you can't help being overawed by it. You can go up inside and into the crown but like most things if you want to do this book a couple of months in advance at least. It would have been good to do the tour but alas we can't do everything and just being able to stand at the bottom of the statue with a blue sky behind her was incredible. The Statue represents many things, the broken shackle at her feet signifies the escape from tyranny. In her left arm she holds a tablet of law bearing in Roman Numerals the date of the American Declaration of Independence, July 4th 1776. Her crowns seven rays represent a sunburst spreading enlightenment and reason throughout the world. Most significant is her torch which symbolises truth and justice. Its another pinch me moment. Back on the boat and off to Ellis Island, this is where all the immigrants were processed before entering the States, there were medical checks to be done, families to be informed, there were hospitals which helped in the delivery of nearly 400 babies, there were operations performed and sadly thousands of deaths occurred through disease and terrible conditions people had endured in their passage to a better life. There were recordings of the voices of people who had come through Ellis Island and remembered vividly the process, the pain and in some cases devastation as loved ones were not allowed in and returned to their own countries. In those days when you said goodbye to a family member you never saw them again. One of the most famous immigrants through Ellis was none other than Bob Hope and his family who landed in America from the UK in 1908 when Bob who was then known as Leslie Hope was just four years old. They now have the library dedicated in his name. The Island had remained empty and left to deteriorate after the Second World War right up until the 1980's when it underwent a massive refurbishment and made into a museum to remember all those whose long journey had brought them to the land of plenty. Finished the day off with a wander around Macys Department Store. Another good day had.

Another sunny day and actually quite a bit warmer today so we walked across town to pier 78 and jumped on the sightseeing hop on off boat. We did it because we had free tickets and it ventured past an area that we had not investigated. The guy on board giving the commentry never came up for air and he was so knowledgable. He managed to get across so much information and some great pointers about restaurants etc. and apparently if you need anything from a Gucci or Lois Vitton handbag to a Rolex watch you should head for Canal Street near China Town, take your cash and haggle them down!! Time to head back for a quick shower and chill before heading off to Broadway to see Les Miserable. Alfie Boe is the lead in it, a local boy from near our hometown. Oh my goodness, never have I been so moved and affected by a show before. I had never seen it on stage and it completely blew me away. Alfie Boe was incredible, the whole cast were brilliant, it was so good at the end of the first half I just sat and couldn't wait for it to begin again. When he sang "Bring him Home" the tears rolled down my cheeks and I don't think I stopped crying until we got back to the hotel. It left me emotionally exhausted, it was bloody brilliant and given half a chance I'd be going back again and again. What a night, 10/10 for Broadway.

Today it's been a walk around China Town, Little Italy and Soho. Great neighbourhoods, Soho has cobbled streets and is full of Dior, Vitton, Burberry, all lovely to look at and a nice area with some nice restaurants but when our tummies started grumbling we headed back to Little Italy as there is The feast of San Gennaro on this week which means that the area is full of stalls selling all kinds of a Italian food, there are stalls selling jewellery, clothes and bits of nick knacks. But it has a real buzz around the place, there is live music on every night and the streets are festooned with neon lights and green and white and red tinsel everywhere. Its an annual event and lasts over ten days and is in honour of the Patron Saint of Naples. I think largely it's a charity event to keep the Italian community together and the fact that it usually pulls in over one million visitors speaks for itself. We decided to walk back but as usual we forget just how far everything is. Quick flit around Bloomingdales so that we can say that we have been and a couple of squirts of expensive perfumes later we carried on back. Another feet aching day, time to chill on our last night in the city that doesn't sleep So we headed up to the roof and gazed at The Empire State Building and tonight it was red white and blue which is quite apt for our last night I think.

Today and its pack up the suitcase for the last time. Check out and just time to go to Madison Square Garden and Bryant Park before hailing a cab and heading off to JFK for our flight home.

What a year it has been, we set off last September excited to see all of the countries on our list. Now at the end I can say that we have had an amazing time, it has far exceeded our expectations, it's been a real once in a life time adventure and it's been wonderful to share it all with the man that I wake up with every morning and kiss goodnight to every night with a smile on my face. If we have learnt anything this year it's not to take life to seriously, enjoy every moment and cherish the people you love. I hope you have enjoyed reading about our adventures and that I have not waffled on and on and bored you all to tears! It's been epic, got to go now cos I can't read this anymore through the tears. Bon voyage for now, be happy all.....................



..


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb