Day 2 - Lower Manhattan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
March 12th 2015
Published: March 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I'm writing at 22.01 on our 3rd night in New York. Have had a fantastic day today exploring Lower Manhattan. I'll start at the beginning. The morning started a lot like yesterday morning. Up at a reasonable time, had some breakfast, did some training and got ready to go out. We left the flat at around 11.30 and headed to Brooklyn Bridge which, we soon discovered, was far more scenic and open air than Manhattan Bridge - where the pathway ran under the bridge alongside the subway track. Across the bridge we picked up a pretzel and found a Starbucks to get the first coffee of the day. Still trying in vain to get Rosie to enjoy coffee... Our next stop was the 9/11 memorial plaza, and we walked down in glorious 15•C sunshine. We stumbled across the plaza almost by accident, but it was pretty spectacular. It consisted of two square holes the size of the base of the towers cut into the plaza with a water feature running down the black marble walls. Around the edge were plaques with all the names of the victims. It was a simple design but very effective. From there we headed down Wall Street and to the Stock Exchange for sightseeing. I very much enjoyed the buildings of lower Manhattan - huge mirrored skyscrapers juxtaposed by shorter, older brick buildings. It really gave a sense of the old and new in the city. After grabbing a bite to eat at 'Pot Belly Sandwiches' we walked down to have a look across the bay to Liberty and Ellis Island, and the statue herself. On the way we found ourselves walking across the set of one of our favourite TV shows, Impractical Jokers, so sat in the sun and watched the filming for an hour or so with yet another Starbucks. By this point it was time to wander back up to Brooklyn Bridge (via Abercrombie & Fitch) and into Brooklyn. On the way up we came across the Vietnam Veterans Plaza, consisting of an alley of plaques with all of the names of the New York citizens that had died. A large number were only 19-20 years old. Even more poignant was the central mural bearing quotes from soldiers' letters back home to loved ones. Once home we ate, talked, planned, wrote, texted and blogged our way through the night. Matt has also managed to unclog the toilet, so we've all spent the evening in high spirits. Tomorrow I believe it's back to Midtown to visit the shops we missed Monday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th March 2015

Well done Matt
There is nothing more underrated than decent plumbing!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb