Back Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 7th 2006
Published: June 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This has gotta be my last entry (ever?) since I'm back home now which means my adventure in China is over.

To Sum Up My Experience:

Only In China, I...

*Spent the night in a tent at the base camp of Mount Everest.
*Rode a camel through the Taklamakan Desert in Xinjiang.
*Partook in a massive snowball fight on Heavenly Mountain.
*Took in all of China from atop the massive Great Wall.
*Luged down the Great Wall.
*Went scuba diving at a National Coral Reserve in Hainan.
*Saw the Potala Palace, and the tombs of many past Dalai Lama.
*Watched monks in the middle of a heated debate in a monastery in Lhasa.
*Spent hours hiking around Hangzhou only to stumble upon a real, functioning Daoist compound with mom and dad.
*Avoided a dinner ceremony involving the sacrifice of a lamb, by eating in the room with our busdrivers in Xinjiang.
*Cried as we pulled into the livestock market in Kashgar, again as we had to ride a donkey cart through the Gobi Desert, and yet again when I was told the only way up to Everest base camp was to ride in a horsecart.
*Peed next to a Yak in the middle of the night in Tibet.
*Peed in the Gobi desert, from behind Santana's coat on the side of the highway many times in Tibet, and in some of the worst squatters imaginable. I did however, refuse to pee on the side of the highway next to a barbed wire fence, although Dragon, our tourguide in Xinjiang, suggested it.
*Woke up in the middle of the night at Everest to see the stars and listen to the Tibetans performing a ceremonial ritual.
*Slept in my clothes and shoes on the sleeper train to Tai Shan, the night we spent in the monastery, and the night we spent at Everest Base Camp.
*Went for 3 days driving through Tibet without any meals besides Chinese snacks from a convenience store.
*Went almost 72 hours in Tibet without being able to shower.
*Talked to monks my age (in Chinese!) at a monastic school on the drive to Everest, who had been sent there by their families since the age of 4 or 5.
*Bonded with many, many cabdrivers (我的中国朋友).
*Bargained for a rug in the Kashgar marketplace.
*Became accustomed to the smell of Yak butter.
*Offended the Buddha numerous times by "stepping on his shoulder" as we entered temples and monasteries in Tibet.
*Woke up to my friends crying as I spent the scariest night of my life sleeping in a dungeon room of a monastery, with the monks chatting, slurping their yak butter tea, and the stove burning coal all through the night.


I am going to miss this place, all of my friends, and everything we went through so much.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb