Travels in New York June 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
July 10th 2010
Published: July 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New York Route


Watkin GlenWatkin GlenWatkin Glen

This is a great place to walk/hike and view the many falls

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts



WEB SITES click on the blue letters to learn more



Summer June 2010, New York
Watkins Glen SP is the oldest of the Finger Lakes and it is a big WOW! The trail along the Gorge is outstandingly lovely, it includes lots of steps, over 800, and 9 waterfalls. The creek has poured down this valley for 12,000 years. As we hiked, we came to the last climbing section called “Jacob’s Ladder”, it left us huffing and puffing.
We visited quite a few waterfalls in the Finger Lakes region, Montour Falls, Buttermilk Falls SP and Taughannock Falls SP and Seneca Falls. A stop at the Women’s Rights National Historic Park, brought a chill to my spine. It was not long ago women had NO rights, “We’ve come a long way baby!”
After a brief stop at Ft. Stanwix, a reproduction of a fort from the French and Indian/Revolutionary Wars, we continued onto the Adirondack Region. Encompassing both public and private land, the Adirondack Park is an astounding 6 million acres ---a tapestry of woodlands, meadows, mountain peaks and thousands of streams and lakes.
A visit to the Adirondack Museum gave us a good background of how the early settlers survived the harsh winters in this wilderness.
Most night we stayed in State Parks, they do NOT have electric hook-ups, but we are self-sufficient. However, last night it rained and rained, we felt sorry for the many folks in tents.
As we approached Lake Placid, the weather prediction for the day is 1 to 2 inches of rain. So dressed in rain-gear we began with a trolley ride giving us the lay of the land then walked in this home of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Absolutely drenched we returned to our dry camper for hot soup and dry socks, then onto Abolitionist, John Brown’s Farm and grave. Fortunately the farmhouse had a state guide who was very knowledgeable regarding the history of the Brown Family. (We were the only folks touring, everyone else was building an ark!)
High Falls on the Ausable River is a privately owned park, with a pleasant walk around the gorge. We also found Mt. Marcy, the high point in NY State, however it would be a 14 mile hike up, so we opted for a shorter hike along the Giant Trail with lots of climbing and views of high peaks.
Our next point of interest is Ft. Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain. We enjoyed the video and a tour of the weapons and artifacts.
The last stop in NY was Crown Point where we visited the Champlain Memorial Lighthouse, and the ruins of Ft. St. Frederic.




Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

One of many fallsOne of many falls
One of many falls

Can you see Kelly ?
FallsFalls
Falls

We hiked to these falls
Taughannock FallsTaughannock Falls
Taughannock Falls

This is what it looks like with out us.
FallsFalls
Falls

One of the many on the hike to see the big one
Sencea Fall NYSencea Fall NY
Sencea Fall NY

Lot of history on the battle for womans right.
Frances PerkinsFrances Perkins
Frances Perkins

Look her up on the Internet for an interesting story. I just finsihed a very interest book about her. She is one of my hero's.
Museum Museum
Museum

This is the National Parks Site
Fort StanwixFort Stanwix
Fort Stanwix

Kelly in Rome NY
Fort StanwixFort Stanwix
Fort Stanwix

Inside the Fort
CampgroundCampground
Campground

This is where we like to stay. We look for State Park campgrounds.
Adirondack RegionAdirondack Region
Adirondack Region

We bought this chair for our living room so we could watch TV?
CanoesCanoes
Canoes

Beautiful, these were made by hand
TrainTrain
Train

This is the king of service they had in the old days
TentTent
Tent

Perfect place to spend the night.


11th July 2010

great pics
See you are back to enjoying the US of A; Love that area of NY! So much great nature to see and enjoy. Love your pics. What camera are you using now? We are back in the Burgh doing some day tripping but not too far out. Thanks for sharing.
11th July 2010
Adirondack Region

You must live in a palace in order to have magnificent furniture like this. : ) You missed the Chimney Bluffs! What a great trip!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb