End Of the trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 9th 2008
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello all, to say its been awhile since my last blog would undoubtedly be an understatement as its now the 18th of august 09 and we arrived back four days before the Christmas before last... But as I have some time and nothing much to fill it with I have decided to conclude this travel blog, enjoy.

Where to begin believe I last left you just as I had arrived in new York on the way to buy some jumpers, well needed jumpers I may add as it was bloody freezing.. Not really one for the cold myself it felt all the more arctic since the ridiculous heat of the Fijian islands but to get down the 'mall' we would have to ride the subway and face all the craziness this entails.

Now when you see a movie of new York with someone riding the subway it may sometimes involve a run in with some crazy guy, now this isn't exactly true to real life where every time you ride involves an encounter.. There seems to be a system to how these people operate, they of course wait until everyone is on the train until they wheel, hobble, shuffle or just stride on, they then wait until everyone is seated and proceed with there pre planned speech to the whole carriage.
Now these people aint just tramps after spare change although you get a fair few there's also people selling books, m&m's, earmuffs.. All sorts of things but there's also the people who understand that in a train carriage they have a captive audience and proceed to stand and preech whatever it is they want you to know, one memorable guy was adamant that you could be both Christian and a Muslim.. He was almost worse than the tramp with a gangrenous foot.. (hmm smelly)
and its true what they say the newyorkers have become immune to these people, we were the only ones looking, or in some cases uncommonly not looking...


Once settled way up on 112th street we began searching the city using the empire state for reference where ever we got to (every street looks the same) and we did most of the touristy things while we were there. The statue of liberty, which looks much smaller than I thought it would, central park (where we got to go ice skating woop), little Italy and most of the big shopping places, maseys and bloomingdales included but it beng the end of the trip we didn't really have the cash to indulge ourselves..

We did of course buy the obligatory I love NY t-shirt, mug, cap, phone case.. Etc etc


All in all I liked new York especially at Christmas time it was a nice place to end the trip and to wind down and reflect on all the amazing things we did throughout the year.

And amazing things there were, walking the great wall of china, diving in ko Tao, trekking with orangutans in Indonesia, seeing uluru at sunset, swimming with turtles in the barrier reef.. But as great as all these things were its the feeling of freedom I miss the most. Being able to pick up your backpack and head off when ever you want or just sitting and chilling for weeks on end with afew friends.

And when i have the money I'll be off again in a second.


Thank you all for reading, and until the next trip goodbye..

Chris and Eve

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb