…..To Be Continued


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Wellsville
July 21st 2022
Published: July 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

See….I told you there was more to come. I’m sure you have been sitting anxiously next to your communication device for the big alert announcing this follow-up blog. That’s why I didn’t put it off any longer. I know, I know….Sometimes I may seem delusional. No comments, please! We did take a couple days to recoup and clear our minds….plus make a Texas Hot visit with our two daughters, Lory & Kim. That made the day!

Now for the “pièce de résistance” that we promised. Oh, Goody! I can almost hear the hand clapping. Over the July 4th holiday, Cory and I took almost 5 days and went to Jamestown, NY. Why…..you ask…..why Jamestown? Was this the reason? Read the following: In the 20th century, Jamestown was a thriving industrial area, noted for producing several well-known products. They include the crescent wrench, produced by Karl Peterson's the Crescent Tool Company in Jamestown beginning in 1907. Oh, yeah…..a crescent wrench company! No….this wasn’t the reason for the visit. Cory wasn’t interested in adding to his tool collection. Cory’s older sister, Gail and her husband Dick, arranged for a unique family reunion with some of the Guenter siblings…..Cory & me and his sister, Gwen & her husband Bob. Why the occasion and why the uniqueness? Okay, let me tell you. Here’s the background on this scenario. Ancestry has been an important part in Gail’s life as she has become the family historian. Awhile back, she received a communication from a lady in England stating that they (Gail & lady) had a matching DNA in their bloodlines. Whoa…..it all seemed confusing at first but eventually, Gail followed up with this lady. Come to find out, the Guenter sibling’s, Uncle Karl, had fathered a girl child while overseas after WWII. She had been put up for adoption. Through DNA testing, she (Glynis) had now located her new found cousin: Gail….and the other sibling cousins!! More proof as to what a small world this is……and that you never know what tomorrow will bring. So…..long story short (kind of): Glynis and her husband, Terry, flew from England to the USA to meet her new family. But wait…..there were more family members yet to be discovered. Through all this discovery, Glynis found a half brother living in New Mexico. His name is Andy. They met for the first time at the Chicago airport. A wonderful meet and
Jamestown, NY. Doubletree Hotel & Lucy museum Jamestown, NY. Doubletree Hotel & Lucy museum Jamestown, NY. Doubletree Hotel & Lucy museum

Gwen & Bob…Bob and Senõr Cory
greet. The three of them all stayed at Gail & Dick’s house (Toledo, Ohio) for a nice, long visit. Cory’s sister, Cris (from California), also joined them in Toledo to meet her new cousins. Ever so much to find out about each other and share family information. I bet it was non-stop chatter with awe and excitement.

Now….back to Jamestown. It seemed to be a midway meeting location for the 3 available Guenter siblings, their spouses and new cousins. What an exciting time when everyone got together to finally meet in person their new relatives. Oh, happy days! We all stayed in the Doubletree Hotel in the city center. We could walk to the Lucy/Desi museum. That was most enjoyable. One part I missed was that you could pose on the scene “sets” and have your picture taken. Noooo….how did I not know that? Rats! Cory bought me an “I Love Lucy” shirt so I was okay.

Gail had made reservations for all of us at The Fish restaurant at Bemis Point on Chautauqua Lake. Also invited was Gail’s college roommate, Susan, and Gwen’s childhood friend, Nancy & her husband, Tony. We made for a full and festive group. We followed up our meal, conversing on a lovely patio at the edge of the lake.

Next stop was Celeron, NY…..on Chautauqua Lake. This is the birthplace of Lucille Ball. In a nice park, we found a wonderful, look alike statue of Lucy. Gwen posed with her. A short distance from this statue was another statue of Lucy. It is called “Scary Lucy”. Originally, the “Scary Lucy” was the first statue constructed. It was so ugly and unlike Lucy that a big uproar occurred. No way was it going to be used to represent this famous and well loved star from their town. Thus, the more appropriate Lucy statue was constructed and put in a prime spot in the park. “Scary Lucy” is off to the side on a walkway. Gwen posed with her, too. She doesn’t discriminate.

And the festivities continued. The following day, we all boarded the Chautauqua Belle paddle wheel boat for a tour around the huge lake. It was interesting and entertaining as well as a nice form of relaxation. We had a bag lunch provided by the boat. It was okay but I was enjoying being waited on at all the restaurants. I’m getting spoiled in my old age.

The room adjacent to the hotel lobby became our regular meeting place. Gwen brought wine and Gail brought snacks so it became like a daily party house. It was so nice to be able to get to know Glynis, Terry and Andy. They are wonderful people. We all are blessed that they have come into our lives. Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful.

On Tuesday morning, we all had a group hug and went on our merry ways. Glynis, Terry and Andy accompanied Gwen & Bob for a fun stay at their home in Clearfield, PA. Besides other adventures, they visited Niagara Falls before heading to NYC where they would flew home to England (outside London). Cory and I stopped in Lakewood to visit with our dear friend, Gayle Bernard. Always so wonderful to see her. I miss her. Gail & Dick stopped in Erie to see their friend, Susan, again.

What timing! Once back home to our RV, the Texas Hot restaurant’s 100th Anniversary celebration was in full swing. One offering was a free movie at our library auditorium. Guess what it was!! The Long, Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi! Oh, boy. How perfect since we had just been immersed in Lucy memorabilia. I put on my new I LOVE LUCY shirt and we headed off to our magnificent (it really is) library. We settled into the movie theater style seats with two other people in the audience. Guess it wasn’t a big attraction for everyone. Their loss! As the movie began, both Cory and I had questions. The longer we watched and sat there, we really had serious questions….Is This The Right Movie?? It had Lucy in it but she was with Bob Hope and there was no trailer to be seen! Whaaaaaaat? Something’s wrong here. The film froze…..broke, I don’t know. This was our time to get up and find out what the heck was going on. The film master said they lost The Long, Long Trailer movie and figured this one (Critic’s Choice) was just as good. Are you kidding??! No way, José. We left….at least I had my shirt to look at.

Better things were yet to come. Every Thursday, our town has a social gathering called “Music on the Lawn.” It is held in the evening on our library lawn. Various musicians are brought in to entertain the residents (near and far) of the town. It’s free. Many turn out!! This specific Thursday, they had an Elvis impersonator perform. He has been here before and always draws a big crowd. I put on my Graceland t-shirt and we headed off to the library again. Cory set up our lawn chairs amongst the masses of people. Some attendees provided more entertainment than the host. “Elvis” came riding in on his motorcycle. The squeals and screams went up. During his acts, he made his way through the crowd, draping sweaty scarves around the necks of a few nursing home ladies. The years have not been kind to “Elvis”. He still looks and moves good but his singing has become so-so at times. He kept a tune like me……none! But it was a warm, pleasant and entertaining evening.

A neighboring town had their annual celebration: Eliot Ness Festival. Because Eliot Ness lived out his last few years of life in Coudersport, PA., they have an annual celebration commemorating him. Now, if you don’t know who Eliot Ness is…..it’s time to Google him. I’ll wait. Tap, tap, tap. Ok. Enough time. The day Cory and I attended the festivities, they were having their car show. Many various cars of his era were lined up and down the Main Street. Residents of the town were garbed in appropriate clothing of that time as they walked the sidewalks. It was great. We went in the Eliot Ness museum for a few photo ops. We were happy we had come to this fun and fascinating gala.

Not quite done…….I see your eyes closing! Hang in there….this won’t take long. Because we enjoy fiddle music, Cory and I attended a Fiddle music event in another local town. We went to Cuba, NY (yeah….Cuba…..that’s where Cory’s gets his favorite cheese). Fairly recently, some dedicated sponsors have refurbished an old, old opera house back into its original state. It is awesome! On their stage, the group known as “fair to fiddlin’ ” performed. They were excellent. Everyone’s toe was tapping. What a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

See…….that wasn’t so bad.

I’m sure by now you are all wondering where Lulu has been. She’s not been in the spotlight like you have come to expect of her. No…..she has not. Let me tell you the sad story. She was acting somewhat distant, withdrawn, skiddish…..almost hermit like. She was so opposite of her normal pushy, outgoing, almost obnoxious self. We took her to various clinics. Finally, she has been diagnosed with a form of agoraphobia. How can that be?? Such a flitting butterfly; such a life of the party; such a narcissistic gal; such a hog of the limelight. The medical team is baffled also. Maybe it originated from when she had Covid….we don’t know. She did get use to being isolated. She stayed for weeks on end in my carry bag with no person to person contact. She came out a changed person. She keeps her face to the wall of our RV now, showing no desire to leave her secure, blank and boring surroundings. It’s so upsetting. What can we say…..what can we do? Nothing at this time, I guess. The counselors say to be patient with her. She might turn around……but then they just shake their heads and walk away. Lulu drops her own head! That’s all she has, you know. We find her looking down often. We talk about carrying her photo in a frame along with
All of us at the hotel.All of us at the hotel.All of us at the hotel.

Gail, me, Glynis, Cory, Andy, Dick, Gwen, Bob, Terry
us on our journeys……but it wouldn’t be the same. She is always with us in our hearts and we know she is in yours. Pray for her. Perhaps a healing will take place and we’ll have our fantastic, fun-loving, show-off Lulu back…..back with all of us where she belongs. I can’t write anymore. My tears are blinding my words. I have to put my sunglasses on so Miss Lulu doesn’t see me talking about her…..if she would just turn her head around! She’s very self conscious about her state. Pray for a miracle.

Just give me two more seconds….P-L-E-A-S-E. Look what happened to the back window of our car! Bamm. Cory went out the other morning and found shattered glass on the driveway outside the car. He figures it was the heat that caused it. Otherwise, it was someone taking pot shots at us. Another reason for Lulu to want to stay inside. Let’s go with the heat!

We had another date night and went to the movies again. This time we saw “Where The Crawdads Sing.” It was a good movie and we would recommend it to you if you get a chance to see it.

I’m done! Happy? Kind of Iike a reading marathon…..wasn’t it? Well, you came out ahead and won! Congratulations! 17 pictures so remember to keep scrolling until you see them all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



21st August 2022

Hi, Entertaining as usual !!
Sounds like a great summer.
24th August 2022

Thanks, Dave
Hoping to see you soon at TP ❤️

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb