moving and above and beyond the call of duty


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Troy
June 28th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

lock 2lock 2lock 2

Original side cut lock beside new lock Waterford Flight of five
The boat looks odd with her masts down, booms and gaff lashed to the deck. The job went well despite boat wake and oh the thunderstorm and rain. An occurance which I bet caused people to say Canadians don't know enough to come in out of the rain. With the main mast in the air we could not reasonably take shelter, or close the ports either. The dreaded job is done despite the liberation of our main mast support system by someone else with ,we assume a ketch rig headed north. May they enjoy the fruits of our labour. The Castelton Boat club members graciously assisted us with finding wood and long screws, so it all ended well. They truly are friendly people here who go the extra mile.
We have enjoyed great conversations, been hosted to drinks invited to lunch, and thoroughly savoured the compliments on Witchcraft's lines. We may think she is looking a bit weather worn ( so are we for that matter), but others still appreciate her. We do as well in fact. Love the boat you're with.
Now begins the exercise in head bumping, until behavior modification is complete or we are in Oswego and can stand it all up again, whichever comes first. Personally I will blame my hat for any head bumping since it removes my ability to see upwards. I am certain Mark will blame * demon spawn* or some such thing.
Witchcraft and her crew appreciate being in fresh water more than many folks can understand. We have faired reasonably well, there is a little rust bleed here and there, but otherwise things seem to have stood up fairly well.
We are through the first lock the Federal Lock at Troy and safely ensconced at Waterford. This community provides free dock, electricity and so on. Today they went beyond the call of duty. The Castleton Boat Club had been trying to contact me. The Waterford Welcome Centre provided me with a phone and space to make the call. Good thing too, there had been an error when the boat club processed a credit card this morning. In fact a $900.00 error. Thanks to the helpful folks at the welcome centre and the determination and honesty of the Castleston Boat Club the error has been corrected.
Onward and upward...and I do mean upward since the next many locks are up for us.

Advertisement



30th June 2010

Hello Ruth and Mark
Congratulations on your progress, despite the setbacks. You're doing great and a civilized Kingston summer seems just around the corner for you two. Fair winds.
1st July 2010

Destination
I see you are coming up the canal. Any chance you might be headed for the St. Lawrence? - Mike http://theshipwatcher.blogspot.com
2nd July 2010

destination
WE wont be headed up the St. Lawrence this year. Another time perhaps. Time to get back to work

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb