Leaving Syracuse, heading to Ithaca


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Syracuse
July 29th 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Luckily, we didn't have any outdoor activities planned today because it rained all day. Allison is really, really tired of getting her hair wet one way or another. We did stop at the Erie Canal Museum in Syracuse on our way out of town, and we are glad we did. Lots of info about how the canal changed New York and the US, and how it created a way of life in the towns that srung up along the way. There was a replica of a 'packet boat', which was a passenger vessel that could take you from Albany to Buffalo in six days - before the canal the same trip took six weeks. So the canal was a great way to get goods from New York City to the west inexpensively. Lots of photos of life on the canal.
Then a rainy drive to Ithaca. For dinner we had a great time at the Ithaca Ale House. We were worried that it might just be a college-type hangout, but there was a good mix of people, great burgers, and a vast selection of beers.
The forecast for Saturday (and our winery tour) is great, so we have hopes for some good pics.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1022.5kb