Day 3: New York to Niagara Falls - "This feels like summer"


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 started early. Again. Surprisingly despite not being at all a morning person this hasn't been a problem for me so far. I must still be on another time zone. This time it was off to Penn Station to find our train for the nine and a half hour journey to Niagara Falls. The time went by surprisingly quickly, thanks to plenty of leg room and a bit of a nap along the way for some.

After arriving at Niagara Falls, collecting the car and working out how on earth to fit all our luggage in, we checked into the very nice Holiday Inn and set out for our first look at the American side of the falls.

Looking over the side of the lookout we spotted an ant like stream of people in bright yellow, climbing up into the falls themselves. The decision was made immediately, "We have to do that!". Fortunately I managed to find Mike, possibly the most helpful customer service person I've met so far on this trip. He gave us great information and sent us on our way for cave of the winds tour. If you go to Niagara Falls you MUST do this tour. They kitted us out with sexy yellow ponchos, plastic bags for our gear and very trendy Niagara Falls sandals and then sent us down an elevator to the bottom of the falls.

From the bottom of the falls you can really appreciate the sheer power and volume of the water plummeting down, smashing into the rocks below. The sound is phenomenal. This is my absolute favourite part of the holiday so far (sorry New York lovers). The final part of the walk actually lets you within 10 feet of one of the falls. The power of the water that hit us just standing that close was amazing. The photo doesnt quite do it justice!

Dinner at the Hard Rock cafe topped off a long day and as you can see in the picture below, the boys were very keen to hit the hay for the night.

Quote of the day


Stu: "What, do you want to be a girl Craig?"
Craig: "Well someone has to be"
(Yeah, thanks guys...)




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th July 2010

Great stuff
This is great stuff Michelle - lucky you are going along with the guys as they would never have done a blog so that we can feel like we are there with you. Hope the boys are behaving themselves.
6th July 2010

Monks
You look like luminous monks in your ponchos!
6th July 2010

OMG!!!! u bloody lucky thing im so goin over there one day have heaps of fun n spend up big.... il check up on ya progess n great adventures soon :) x
11th July 2010

And here I was thinking there would be a fight over which two guys got stuck sharing the double bed...

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb