New York New York!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
July 28th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

On the road to Fairfield, CT


central parkcentral parkcentral park

whoops on our way out ... forgot to take photos!

5 Days in New York!



Heather says

After having the company of Foxy Moron (the car) and Chesty LaRue (the navigation) it was time to say a sad farewell in Connecticut. Back to good old public transport .... bugger!

We arrived on Thursday 17th July after another long day driving by Brendan and were picked up at the car hire by Janene (Newton's wife).

We collected Newton from the train station and headed back to their house which is only about 1 minute drive away (laxy newton!! ha-ha)

Their house is this goegeous collonial style house built in the 1920's. The furniture has an antique style and could easily be a B&B.

Brendan says

Well it was our B&B for the next few days! Just a note that this community was awesome and so close the the hustle and bustle of New York - Manhattan.... if you ever get the chance, pop into Fairfield - Connecticut!

Heather says

The first night was a quiet summer evening with a few drinks and a wonderful home cooked meal (thanks Janene!) Lots of conversation, a couple of bottles of wine and playing with Gus -
Ground ZeroGround ZeroGround Zero

behind the fence ... work continues
their super cute dog - it was time for bed.

We got up early teh next morning to catch the train into New York with Newton. the train takes just over an hour, so the plan was to spend the day in town and then meet Janene, Newton & some friends for dinner.

The one word i could use to descrieb New York in summer is ...... HOT!

It was stifling! The heat just bounces off the roads and buildings and doesn't escape. After about 5 mins of walking around we were covered in sweat and feeling pretty gross ... lovely!!

Heading straight for Central Park for a horse and carriage ride ... was pretty cool ... then grabbed a pretzel and hit the SHOPS!!

First Stop - TIFFANY'S (where else!)

I grabbed a necklace (no diamonds) and a couple of charms (no diamonds!). It's a pretty amazing store wich covers several floors. the ground floor is where the diamonds are and pretty much no one can afford to sho there!! I only saw 2 people looking at the pieces seriously - everyone else were tourists - like us!

Next stop - Guicci,
Brooklyn Pizza placeBrooklyn Pizza placeBrooklyn Pizza place

snuck this photo in before i almost got kicked out ....
Prada, Macy's etc etc etc - picked up 2 pairs of shoes and a dress.

To be honest nothing really grabbed me (shocking I know!) so the credit card stayed in the wallet most of the day..... Brendan says ..... for now! ha-ha

We met up with Newton & co at the end of the working day and with the temperature still sizzling, we took a stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge and ended up at the BEST little pizza place around!

Great food, cheap (good) wine cheery atmosphere - we loved it!

After we headed back into new York for some some more drinks at a quaint wine bar

Newton & Janene were wonderful hosts and took us out on the town the next night as well. Dinner and drinks at the Soho Grand (more upmarket bar) required the more fancy dress standards so ... hello new frock!!

What a night - jugs of mojitos, a bottle of rum, lots of champagne, a little food, several bars and us dragging our sorry ass home at 5.30am looking a little worse for wear (read - me walking down the street after the train with fancy new heels in hand - classy!)

Brendan says

Fairfield, CT had much to offer - so gald we stopped in there instead of spending big bucks in NY - did some awesome stuff like stroll down to the local beach - note water was COLD!

Got a guided tour of the wealthy side of Connecticut. The houses are HUGE and Heather tells me that Martha Stewart owns one (i dont really know who she is!). But without Newt & Janene we wouldn't have seen the brilliant walk trails/park areas so close by and just enjoy the sunshine and fresh air.

Bars, shopping, bus tours, horse rides, more bars, public transport and central park .... what a full 5 day


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

SkylineSkyline
Skyline

on Brooklyn side looking over Manhattan skyline
Beach @ FairfieldBeach @ Fairfield
Beach @ Fairfield

nice hot day .. hot sand, hot sun, bikinis (even on those that shouldn't!) .... but the water ... FREEZING!
Jugs of Mojito....Jugs of Mojito....
Jugs of Mojito....

Newton loved these ... especially wanted extra PARSLEY!
MojitoMojito
Mojito

sweet .... the aussies ddn't let newton forget the extra parsley in his mojito!
Dale - Aussie in NYDale - Aussie in NY
Dale - Aussie in NY

Dangerous .....
hello!hello!
hello!

one for the family
One club lineOne club line
One club line

$40 entry ..... each ..... but its ok were open until 10(am) sunday morning .... give that a miss thanks
Lake near FairfieldLake near Fairfield
Lake near Fairfield

who would of thought this was so close


20th August 2008

Naked Cowboy
Who says it isn't already Wayne's job in Margaret River?

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb