About Time in Sandy Hook


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
September 11th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

About Time in Sandy Hook New Jersey

We’ve slowed down moving south, and are currently waiting for a favourable weather window to head down the Atlantic coast to Cape May, and into Chesepeake Bay.
Originally we’d hoped to go off shore from Block Island to Cape May. Unfortunately (as often happens) the weather didn’t cooperate, so we changed our plans and went back south through Long Island Sound.

After leaving Rockland we went to Boothbay Maine, (it’s kind of like a Grand Bend) with lots of restaurants, bars, and more tee shirt shops than I’ve ever seen. I bought a Boothbay hat for $5.00, that’s become my favourite hat! Our next stop was in Portland, and we met up again with our friends Mary and Christian. We were anchored again right next to Eric Clapton. We thought maybe he was following us and wanted to play guitar with me. From Portland we headed for Isle of Shoals, and about 10 miles out we spotted Eric Clapton following behind us. When he passed us, I called them on the radio, and the captain told me Eric wasn’t on the boat , but we’re pretty sure he was. After Isle of Shoals we stopped in Beverly Mass, and stayed at the Yacht Club of some friends we’ve met. We left the next day, and went through the Cape Cod canal, and stayed at Onset overnight before heading for Newport. We decided to spend Labour Day week end in Newport, as there were lots of festivities, include big fireworks, a classic sailboat race, and lots of other stuff. It was pretty exciting with lots of boats… maybe too many boats in the anchorage. With the weekend over ,we went across the harbour to Jamestown, and spent the day with some retired cruisers, that have a fabulous home that overlooks Newport harbour. They had a million dollar view, and beautiful home.

Leaving Jamestown we revisited Fisher Island, crossed to the south east shore of Long Island visiting Port Jefferson, and Port Washington. (No Port Nixon yet) We had great weather for traveling down the sound. In fact one day going from Fisher Island to Port Jefferson, we sailed all day except leaving and entering the harbours! Now that’s a rare occasion on a sailboat!

While traveling down Long Island sound, we had been watching a tropical disturbance, off the coast of North Carolina. When we reached Port Washington, they named it as a tropical storm Gabriel, with potential to turn into a hurricaine. We stayed an extra day in Port Washinton, thinking that if it did turn into a hurricaine, we would be safer in Long Island sound. By Sunday they figured it wasn’t going to be a big threat to us, so we came back through New York City, to Sandy Hook, and are currently anchored off Atlantic Highlands New Jersey. While going through New York City we kept wondering why anyone would ever want to live in New York City. For sure most of the waterfront, is dirty, noisy, with too many people, all in a hurry! We’re waiting here in Atlantic Highlands before heading down the coast to Cape May, Deleware Bay, and into Chesepeake Bay. With fair winds and weather we should be in Chesepeake Bay by the weekend.

Since Labour Day weekend, it really is sinking in that we’re retired! There are more boats at each anchorage that are heading south. It is a small world as you meet new people who know people we knew on land or past cruisers. There is a family
Great FlowersGreat FlowersGreat Flowers

Small inn in Booth Bay
from Toronto in our anchorage with 2 kids age 11 and 13 - they really remind us of our first trip south with our kids in 1994.

We are looking forward to cruising in Chesepeake Bay, then going home for a couple of weeks when Dawn has her baby in October.
Hope all is well with you and that summer stays for a while longer in Ontario.

Take Care

Sharon and Doug, aboard SV About Time




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Boothbay HarbourBoothbay Harbour
Boothbay Harbour

Can you find About time in the picture?
Blue GuitarBlue Guitar
Blue Guitar

Eric Clapton's boat.
What a viewWhat a view
What a view

United Church has conference center here. View from their porch. Isle of Shoals is just 5 miles out of Portsmouth.
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Leaving Isle of Shoals.
12 meter racing boat12 meter racing boat
12 meter racing boat

These boats were constantly sailing by anchorage in Newport.
Million Dollar ViewMillion Dollar View
Million Dollar View

View from home of cruising couple we had lunch with.
Evening VisitorsEvening Visitors
Evening Visitors

These swans came to visit while Doug was playing his guitar in the cockpit. I think they liked his music.
Great SailGreat Sail
Great Sail

Rare day when you get to sail for 8 hours with the wind in the right direction.
New YorkNew York
New York

About Time leaving New York behind.
New DingyNew Dingy
New Dingy

Bought new dingy to replace POS.


Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb