Chesapeake Bay


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Annapolis
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tall ShipTall ShipTall Ship

This was a tall ship out on the Atlantic on our run from Sandy Hook to Cape May.
Annapolis is one of our favourite places, and that’s where we currently are. There is lots of excitement here as everyone headed south for the winter comes through Annapolis, and the town gets ready for the big boat show in 2 weeks.

We left Atlantic Highlands at Sandy Hook New Jersey on September 11 ( we’re not superstitious) headed down the Atlantic coast . We had to wait for the right weather to go down the Atlantic coast and were fortunate to get favourable wind to take us to Cape May. It was an overnight sail, and we arrived in Cape May the next morning, laying over there before going down Deleware Bay. While en route we have started fishing by trolling with a line, attached to a shock cord, off the back of the boat. I hadn’t had much luck so I bought a new lure in New York. It paid off, as we caught a really nice Bluefish, around Atlantic City.

In Delaware Bay the goal is to ride the favourable current, and make it all the way down Deleware Bay in one day. This only happens on a few days of the month and we were
Big CatchBig CatchBig Catch

The new lure paid off with the catch of the 30 inch Bluefish.
able to do that. The same day we went through the C&D canal and stopped in the Sassafras River in Chesapeake Bay that night.

The Sassafras river is at the top of Chesapeake Bay, and is a scenic river, with lots of pretty places to anchor. This river has fresh water, so we were able to wash all the salt off the boat. Swimming was also great there - no salt water and water temperature of 78 degrees. We had company come for a visit in Sassafras River, Sandy and Roger Butcher joined us on the boat for a few days. It was great to see friends from home and we really appreciated their visit.

After almost a week in the Sassafras, we headed out for Annapolis, arriving last Thursday. We no sooner got our anchor down and saw Eric Claptons Blue Guitar enter the harbour behind us! We’re starting to think he’s following us! The next morning we decided to rent a mooring ball for a week in front of the Naval Academy. It is real convenient to downtown and where all the action is. We are taking a week here to relax, enjoy this fantastic place, and maybe get a few things done on the boat that need to be fixed or installed. In addition to the very scenic boating community here, we are meeting lots of other boats heading south. Canada is certainly well represented, and we’re all smiling, after hearing the news that Canadian dollar made it to par with US currency on Friday. They can’t call our money dollerettes any more.

We hope to leave here on Thursday, making our way down the Chesapeake, and then to the Carolinas before we fly home in mid October when Dawn and Paul have their baby. As you can appreciate we are very excited about becoming grandparents, and look forward to our visit home.

Well that’s it for now. We hope everyone is enjoying the fall at home.

Doug and Sharon
Aboard SV About Time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Boothbay Harbour AttireBoothbay Harbour Attire
Boothbay Harbour Attire

Doug modeling his purchases from Boothbay Harbour Maine.
Bridge in Northern CheasapeakeBridge in Northern Cheasapeake
Bridge in Northern Cheasapeake

Bridge is just north of Annapolis.
AnnapolisAnnapolis
Annapolis

A beautiful city.
Sign of another good daySign of another good day
Sign of another good day

Get to see and appreciate a lot of sunsets when living on a boat.


22nd August 2008

Annapolis Photo Contest
Hi Doug and Sharon, I found these great pictures online and thought you might be interested in submitting some or all of them to the Annapolis Photo Contest on www.visitannapolis.org They will be featured on the homepage and you'll have a chance to win a trip to Annapolis! good luck and I hope to see some of your fantastic photos entered! Mandy

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb