New York New York The Final Countdown


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Monday 4th

At breakfast we find the only cooked things on offer are hamburgers and pancakes ! We have settle for porridge and toast.

We take the camper up the road to return it. They have been excellent. A smooth pick up, no fuss when it broke down or needed new tyres. They gave us a full tank of petrol for the inconvenience of breaking down and now give us another $20 for the problems. Not much but we weren't asking for anything.

We spend the rest of the day around the hotel pool until it's time to go to the airport. Check in is the easiest we've ever had and we board on time.

It's the first time we've flown Delta and it's a bit new ! Next to me is a young woman with a two year old on her lap but no seat belt and he sits on the floor during take off ! Over the isle is a dog in a basket !

On board meals have to be paid for and it's only burgers or wraps again on offer. We prefer to go hungry. All we've eaten all day is a sandwich.

We land on time at 12.30am and have to get a taxi to our hotel as its shuttle doesn't run after 11pm. Not what it said on its web site.

We didn't know the areas when we booked and the hotel is in Queens. Not a good area and it looks very scary when we arrive at 1.30. No going out to find something to eat. We go hungry again.

Tuesday 5th

Breakfast can't come quickly enough but another disappointment. Only fatty sausages or waffles. Porridge and a toasted bagel has to do.

We catch the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then catch the airport bus into Midtown Manhattan. It's a good service and drops us right outside the apartment we have rented for the week. It's on 56th and 2nd a good area so we are told.

We are within walking distance of many attractions albeit a long walk to some.

After lunch in an Italian restaurant, at last something decent to eat we walk to Central Park and have a look around at some of it. It's huge and we'll come back and look further. We stop off and watch a game of softball or is it rounders ?

On the way back we manage to find a proper supermarket and stock up for the next few days before going back for a rest. It's been a long couple of days.

Wednesday 6th

Up early despite the jet lag and we walk to the Visitors Centre. It resembles more a theatre booking office as there's not much info about. We do however manage to book a trip for Friday.

We then nip down 59th Street subway station and after some help from a local we manage to by a Metro Card for unlimited travel. Strange name for it as they call the system a subway ! Next we go down into the system and it's a bit like the magical mystery tour as the trains all have letters on the front not where they're going. There's no map down there and no one to help. We board a train and keep our fingers crossed checking the first station off on our tourist's map.

Luckily we head in the right direction and eventually arrive at South Ferry station. We decide to go on the trip to Liberty Island and Ellis Island only there's no signs for where to go. We're getting used to this. The locals know where things are and how things work and their keeping it a secret ! The number of tourists holding maps and looking blank is amazing !

After asking we find the que. It's an hour to que for the tickets and to get through airline type security. I'm already wishing we had thought of something else for the day !

However the boat ride to Liberty Island is a good one and we get great views of the Manhattan skyline. As good as it is, it's not as good as Sydney and miles behind Singapore which is far more innovative.

We take an audio tour of the island and learn all about the Statute, how it was made, size and all the nerdy things I like. '

By now we're getting hungry but the only things on offer again are burgers and tacos. We pass preferring to go hungry. It's becoming a theme, junk food or nothing.

We then que for the next boat to Ellis Islands. It doesn't take that long and we soon dock.

We take a guided tour with a very enthusiastic Ranger who tells us all about immigrants arriving on the island from the 1800's to 1954. It's better than taking the audio tour. After, we look around the building.

Feeling weak from hunger we give in and order a hot chicken sandwich, but it's a burger ! We just can't get away from them.

Having looked around outside we que for the boat back to the mainland. There's a lot of queing today.

Now veterans of the subway system we make our way back to our apartment for a rest before the evening begins.

It's our wedding anniversary today so tonight we go out for dinner. We catch the subway to Times Square and wander the streets until we find somewhere to eat. It's a nice meal but nothing special as a good restaurants difficult to find in the area.

After we walk down Broadway and into Times Square. It's like Piccadilly Circus only with more light bulbs. Flashing neon everywhere and crammed with people. It's got a real buzz about it. Christine can't stop take photos of all the signs.

There's a chap in the middle of the road playing a guitar in his underpants that Christine snaps but some how misses the young lady in the thong and only body paint that I point out to her !

After a hour or so we stop off at McDonalds for a late night ice cream before heading back.

Thursday 7th

First thing we subway it to 34th and 8th and walk round the corner to The High Line. It's an area of urban renewal and involves a high level rail line that's been been converted into an open space with planting along each side, seating areas and some works of modern art.

We walk the mile and a half from one end to the other. It's been very well done with excellent planting and is really attractive. The modern works of art are typically non de script and without the labels no one would have any idea what they're about. But apart from that it's really good.

After a coffee we wander off towards Greenwich Village and stop at Lenny's for a sandwich. A really good place full of healthy food, not a burger in sight !

Greenwich has some really nice old buildings and Washington Square park is lovely.

Still heading downtown we try and get on the subway but find we're on the wrong platform on the line we want. There's no connection between the two platforms so we can't get over to it. We have to come out and go back down the other side but we're told our ticket won't let us down the right side for another 18 mins. It's a crazy system ! We have no choice but to continue walking as we're due at St. Paul's Chapel at 2.30 for a tour.

It's a long hike but we get there on time and meet tour guide Kevin for a tour of Ground Zero.

First we see the Chapel where the rescuers rested and got fed. The wall boards and photos are very moving. The chapel was right behind the twin towers and somehow managed to escape any damage.

We then get to see and have it explained about the new towers that have been built and some still to be constructed. The tour continues around some of the other previously damaged buildings and we see memorials to some of the victims.

There's also a wall memorial to all the fireman who died on the day. It's very well done but quite sad.

Finally we go to the 911 Memorial. It's two huge wells where towers one and two stood with water pouring into them and the names of the victims around the outside. It's very well done and quite moving. The area's crowded with people paying their respects.

After a long day spent walking we catch the subway back and spend the evening resting. At 9.30 there's a knock on our door and I open it to two large policeman and 2 fireman ! They want to know if we are renting the apartment as it's not registered for holiday lets. I answer their questions and they depart saying they will be contacting the owner. We hope we're not going to be thrown out

Friday 8th

Still here this morning ! We walk down to 49th and 6th and que up to go into the Rockefeller building for a trip to the top. We find that the tickets we bought a couple of days ago get us straight to the front of the que.

We zoom up in the lift to the 67th floor and walk up 2 further floors to the observation deck. We get great views out on all sides to Manhattan. There's a special beam overhanging the building we sit on for a photo, although it's a bit scary !

Back on the ground we have another Lenny's special for lunch before walking down to Grand Central Station. It's a wonderful building and inside is a food court that Waterloo Station would do well to copy.

A bit further on and we come to the Empire State Building. It may have been the tallest once a upon a time but it's not that attractive. All concrete panels. We give it a miss having already been to the top of the highest building in Manhattan, at least for the time being until the observation deck in the new Tower One is finished.

Almost opposite is Macy's the world largest department store, at least according to the Americans. We pay a visit and Christine gets a chance to look around. The first department is shoes and it reminds us of our friend Carol, the Imelda Marcos of Yorkshire as we go round.

We visit all five floors but resist the temptation to buy anything, it could have something to do with the fact that I'm with Christine hurrying her along.

We've been walking for ages and stop off at Bryant Park for a rest. It's pretty full and there's a chap giving juggling lessons in the middle. After a long sit down we subway it back to our apartment. We can still get in !

In the evening we take the subway to Canal Street and walk down China town. It's a real disappointment. Just lots of tacky souvenir shops all selling the same plastic things. We soon walk on and end up in Little Italy.

It's a much more livelier place with lots of restaurants with street tables and people milling about. We walk the entire street and it's tempting to sit at one of the tables except we've already eaten. We do try zamboles, hot dough balls covered in icing sugar. They're great !

Saturday 9th

No rush this morning and we finally take the subway west across town to Hell's Kitchen and walk to the flea market. It's another disappointment as the stuff on sale is nothing more than car booting. It's a mixture of old and new rubbish and hardly anyone is buying anything.

We quickly go back to the subway and take a train up town towards Central park. The system is even more baffling as the train we're on doesn't stop at Central park or any for that matter and shoots all the way up to Harlem ! It's the weekend train rerouting for maintenance works but as foreigners we don't know anything about it. A local shows us where to catch the train back into the city. It's takes us over half an hour to get back.

We wander around the Park looking at the locals enjoying the sunshine. There's lots of buskers playing guitars and various musical instruments and also a large black group doing acrobats. They're really good and fun. There's also a gospel music concert going on.

We stay around for most of the afternoon enjoying the music before making our way back.

Sunday 10th

Day 357 and our last full day away. We nip to Lenny's and buy some sandwiches and head to Central Park to spend our last day enjoying a typical New Yoikers Sunday.

The park's packed with speed walkers, joggers and cyclists. There's thousands enjoying the sunshine on their own and in groups, reading, playing games and just sunbathing.

First we walk over to the Carousel and think of having a go but just looking at it makes me feel dizzy. So we give it a miss and trundle over to the Ball Park where there's lots of organised softball matches going on. We watch for quite a while before finding a sunny spot and sitting down to read and sunbath. It's our last chance.

After fidgetting about on the grass I go off and watch another softball game and the pitcher from one side tries to explain the finer points about the game but it still looks like rounders to me !

Late afternoon we walk back. It's been a quiet day and it's given us time to talk about our trip.

In the evening we take the subway to Little Italy for a last night celebratory meal. We talk over some of the places we've been and drink a carafe of wine with our meal. I'm a little heady afterwards and Christine keeps giggling and blowing raspberries in my ear but says she's fine !

We decide to go to Times Square for a last look around, I get through the ticket barrier but Christine gets stuck on the other side as she doesn't go through quickly enough.

I have to come out and we walk to another station but it's down town only. It's hopeless and by the time we find another station going uptown it's so late we just take the train back.

Monday 11th

A very slow start to the day as I've not been well during the night. Can't take the drink !

Christine packs while I clear up the flat and by 10.30 we're ready to go except the taxi's not coming till 2.30.

So we go for a last walk around and drop in at Bloomingdales, the shop for people with more money than sense. Polo shirts in England at 15 pounds selling for $88!

We take a taxi to the airport and arrive in plenty of time to check in, having been unable to do it on line. We find that there's no two seats together and we have to sit across the aisle from each other. For the first time flying we're separate.

We board on time and luckily there's a spare seat next to me so no problem for Christine to swap places.

We taxi out to the runway and then hear the Captain say there's a problem with one of the warning lights. Back we go for it to be checked. Two hours later we're still sitting there ! Another half hour and we're off loaded as it needs a spare bit. First class get seats on the next flight but us in cattle class have to hang around. I hadn't wanted to go home but I this wasn't how I thought about staying.

We wait another hour and a half and are finally told to re board for take off. The plane's now half empty and there's plenty of room.

I had been speaking to one of the stewards about our trip and after take off he brings us a glass of champagne to celebrate its conclusion.

Our 19th flight in a year goes smoothly and at 10.45 am we land back in the UK to be collected by Roger wearing shorts to try and convince me it's a hot day !

So after 358 days our trip's over. We have seen many wonderful places, done incredible things and met some lovely people along the way.

If we were American or Australian we would say it's been awesome !

I'd like to thank

McDonalds for selling the cheapest ice cream wherever we've been in the world. We've had a few !

All our friends for reading our blogs. It must have been difficult to maintain interest but I hope they've enjoyed reading them as much as I've enjoyed writing them.

A special thanks to all those friends who replied to our blogs and kept us amused with their comments.

Those friends who took the time to arrange Skype calls.

Those people we met on our travels for their friendship and generosity. They added so much to our enjoyment.

A BIG thank you to my sister Nicky for dealing with our post, sorting out the problems and paying our bills ! I don't think we could have done the trip without her help.

Finally to Christine for so willing wanting to share my traveling urge, for showing so much enthusiasm for everywhere we've been and everything we've done. YES I know I can sometimes be annoying and NO I don't always listen to your directions and get us lost but after being together for 358 days 24/7 we're still speaking ! Thank you.

THE END or is it ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



13th August 2014

Welcome home!!
Welcome home! I will mss getting your blog updates. Hope everything goes smoothly for you sorting out your house. We are in the process of moving up to the Lakes so if you are ever up that way, let us know! Enjoy catching up with family and friends. Love Ruth and Bob xxx
13th August 2014

Welcome home!!
Welcome home! I will mss getting your blog updates. Hope everything goes smoothly for you sorting out your house. We are in the process of moving up to the Lakes so if you are ever up that way, let us know! Enjoy catching up with family and friends. Love Ruth and Bob xxx
13th August 2014

Welcome home!!
Welcome home! I will mss getting your blog updates. Hope everything goes smoothly for you sorting out your house. We are in the process of moving up to the Lakes so if you are ever up that way, let us know! Enjoy catching up with family and friends. Love Ruth and Bob xxx
13th August 2014

Home again
Hi Thanks for reading and pleased to hear you enjoyed the blogs. I can have a rest now! Hope the move goes well and if we come your way, I'll let you know. Best wishes Steve & Chris
13th August 2014

Welcome home
from the man who's married to the Imelda Marcos of Yorkshire!
13th August 2014

No more blogs !
I thought you'd like that remark ! You'l have to find some more train mags to read now. Hope to see you soon
13th August 2014

Welcome home
Glad you enjoyed the trip and are still together! Are you back in your house now as next time we are in Virginia Water we will try and get to see you. Where next?
13th August 2014

Home soon
Hi We are staying in a friend's house until our furniture is redelivered on Friday and hope to move back in at the weekend. Hope you enjoyed the blogs. When we get a car we'll come down and see you unless you get here first. have to go to Cyprus in 3 weeks for a wedding !
14th August 2014

Back in UK
I am a little jealous of you being back in Vir Water, we miss our friends and village and park. Hope you settle in quickly. Glad the USA didn't do too bad in your travel critique, fun to hear a visitors point of view!
14th August 2014

Culture differences
Hi Pleased to hear from you. Having now visited the USA for 6 weeks I'm amazed at the differences to England ! You must notice a huge difference in culture/shops/roads now you're back home. I was staggered by the amount of traffic on the west coast. I thought the M25 was busy until I drove on the Freeways in LA ! Keep in touch. Steve

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb