New York, New York!


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ground ZeroGround ZeroGround Zero

Haunting
Entry by Gemma.

We have a few hours left in New York. Has been a fun-packed few days.

Arrived thursday evening on the GreyHound bus. The journey was very comfortable, they even showed a film on the bus- DaddyDayCare, Dave read his book, but i enjoyed the film!

Stayed at the Big Apple Hostel, location was brilliant-right off of Time Square, i couldnt believe it. I loved being in the middle of all the action. I loved Time Square at night, it had such a buzzing atmosphere with all the lights and the people.

We went straight to the theatre where Chicago was showing and got bargain tickets for that night. So we grabbed some food, put our most dressiest outfits on (not very dressy) and hit the town. We absolutely loved it and havent stopped singing and humming all the songs yet!
Afterwards went to this really cool smoothie place and sat in the window seats watching the world go by. It was a magical night (sounds cheesy i know!).

The first night at the hostel was a nightmare, our room was right next to the common room, so as a result hardly slept at
Fred at the Empire StateFred at the Empire StateFred at the Empire State

Fred the Ted is amazed at how tall the building is.
all. I was in a very grouchy mood on friday, poor Dave!

Friday we went and chilled out in Central Park, sat by the John Lennon memorial-Strawberry Fields. We then went to Ground Zero-very disturbing, it was so strange seeing a big hole, a gap. It made me feel sick. Was feeling quite down, but the day got more cheerful. Went to Grand Central Station, which is a great place for people watching. Walked down to the UN Headquarters and generally walked around the city.

After a rest back at the hostel we went into Greenwich Village for the night. A very trendy area. We went to this very cool vegetarian restaurant called Gobo. Amazing food and lovely restaurant. In my excitement i told the waitress to tell the chef that it was the 'best food i had ever tasted'. Which was true!

Slept much better friday night as the guy on the front desk of the hostel moved us to a quieter room. Saturday was a rainy day in New York, had a smoothie for breakfast, walked around Time Square for a while and then went to The Museum of Modern Art. Everyone else had the same idea, so it was busy! Was very impressed with the art. We spent about 4 hours there. There was a special exhibition on urban redevelopment projects around the world and they had loads on Manchester which was cool.

Had a cheesy American night, went to Planet Hollywood for dinner, it was an enjoyable experiece and then went to the movies to see The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galazy. We both loved it. The seats in the cinema were cool, they sort of reclined back, very comfortable!

Today we took a walk around, down to the Empire State Building. We are taking it easy as we have a long journey to Fiji. Our flight leaves New York at 6pm. Total journey should take about 20hours.

New York has been amazing. Very different to Boston, but i think we enjoyed both cities in different ways.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb