Moved from Newark to NYC, Manhatten


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 30th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Real estate is very high here but we decided to move in anyway. The Super 8 is very well located near Times Square and not too far from Central Park and much more. We ate out tonight in an adjacent Brazilian Restaurant and had some interesting items (but not yet to your recommended one Scot & Janine).

We left our car parked near the Newark Hilton and wheeled our luggage onto the train. Quite aite I'm sure but we arrived at the 33rd Street destiantion and hailed a taxi and for $6 arrived at our motel. We are really quite pleased for the rather pleasant old room special price tonight of $104 but could not stay for that rate during the week. So we move down the street tomorrow for our final 3 days. Unless things change we will attend the Broadway Show on Wednesday night and leave Thursday by noon.

Rose says she is surviving the oppressive heat of near 100F because we find lots of air-conditioning and shade.

Today we got dressed up and went to church. The New York New York Stake and several wards are located in a beautiful building at the convergence of Columbus Ave. and Broadway near 65th Street (adjacent to the Lincoln Square. The New York Temple is one half of the same building and was built and dedicated in 2004 on the site of former businesses next to the older Church property. What a beautiful building. The building is 6 stories high with two large elevators. The ward and stake chapel and very adequate gym and recreation hall are on the 3rd floor with classrooms and other meeting rooms on the 4th floor. The 5th and 6th floor apparently are the temple rooms.

We arrived in time to attend the Young Single Adult Sacrament Service. The chapel was completely filled with those vibrant young people. There are two such wards. In the service, speaking today, were two young ladies today and also the new local mission president and his wife. The concluding speaker was the Stake President and all not lengthy, so we were filled withmoving messages. This church facility is an oasis of calm and peace in a very busy city world. How fortunate the members are to have that in their midst.

The rest of the day we used up the end of our tour bus pass by circulating through Upper Manhatten, walking part of the Central Park, and then just strolling home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Near the church.Near the church.
Near the church.

The Lincoln cultural square.
NYPDNYPD
NYPD

On a routine exercise with heavy-duty patrol
Rose was little threatRose was little threat
Rose was little threat

Thes guys were well armed and not just a few - about 20 that we could see in and around the New York Hilton


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb