I don't know much about art, but ...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
November 25th 2010
Published: November 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Given the uncluttered writing surfaces and protection from the elements we currently enjoy ahead of picking up the camper in NZ, the first part of the mornings at the moment is being spent in Maths Club(or 'the horror' as William calls it!) Twenty minutes' Maths and what seems like several hours of punctuation later and then we are set for some trips to art galleries and other stimulating locations. Emily patiently gets on with 'stuff' surrounded by her father and brother engaged in academic combat ...
Yesterday was our trip to the Guggenheim, Frank Lloyd Wright's 'cinnamon swirl' just off Central Park. Stunning building design but a rather eclectic collection, with little to interest the children although some of Kandinsky's colours appealed to Emily who set about producing her own version in crayola! Diana became a 'native New-Yorker' today with her run through 'the Park' in the morning, followed by her Annie Hall hat and then smoked salmon bagels for tea!
Today we spent rather longer in the Museum of Modern Art, and were quite taken with the temporary display on the role of drawing and lines in art through the ages as well as the Pollocks, the Warhols and the Klees ... shame we'd left the children's crayons behind today! I was particularly struck by the tupperware exhibit, which featured the coloured beakers that the children still drink out of at Diana's parents' home! This afternoon we went back to Madison Square Garden to see a captivating Cirque de Soleil performance. Such was the story-telling of 'Wintuk' and the choreography that it was easy to lose sight of quite how difficult and dangerous some of the tumbling, balancing, juggling and ropework actually were.
We made a failed attempt early evening to find the floats for tomorrow morning's Thanksgiving Parade, with Peter still struggling to orientate himself correctly on the exit from any subway station ... 'Give me a horizon any day...'
Oh well, I guess that means that we'll just have to get out on the streets with the millions by 7.00 am ... at least William will be pleased to miss 'the horror' for one morning...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb