The Lady Liberty


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 19th 2010
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

New York Part II

So today we were up early and made our way down to Battery Park to catch the ferry to Lady Liberty.
After the full airport security at the entrance we were all aboard and on our way.

Looking like complete and utter tourists we used the audio tour which involved a set of headphones and a lot of time not talking to each other as we each learnt all about the Statue of Liberty. We wandered around the base and then up 156 steps (girls caught the lift) and checked out the New York skyline, which was quite the view.

General consensus was that not only did the statue look fake, but was too small , (Only 30 stories high) but it was built in 1886 so we figured we’d give her a break. Then we found out she was French and she lost all credibility.

Following the staple lunch (burgers and fries.. and staples) we jumped back on and headed over to Ellis Island for a view of the immigration museum with much joy to the girls - another audio tour….

The second part of the day was the ride to the top of the Empire State Building (minus Bing as she doesn’t cope with heights as the best of times, let alone 102 levels)

We had the foresight to order Express tickets which were supposed to help us avoid the legendary queues. Unfortunately we arrived and found no queues whatsoever and were beginning to wonder if the extra $20 bucks was worth it. Then we encountered a few lines, flashed our express passes and were immediately ushered like celebrities past everyone else. We kept our composure and our professionalism as we passed everybody by giggling like schoolgirls, high-fiving and whoopaa-ing. We got one or two dirty stares but jealousy is an ugly trait so poos on them.

Dinner involved a trip back to our favourite Italian pizza joint, Sal’s with a slice of kiwi - we watched Boy (kiwi movie).









Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb