New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
March 7th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Race startRace startRace start

Just before the start of a 5km preliminary race, in preparation/qulaifying for the New York marathon. Start was right outside Dianne's apartment!
Just finished our first day in New York. Got here uneventfully, planes were all on time, security didn't seem to be much of an issue (even though Naomi was frisked twice and I barely got a sideways glance). So we're here in New York!!

Staying with Dianne and Alex for two nights, then we're back here in a couple of weeks for a proper look. Dianne warned us that we'd be woken at 4:30 am by setting up for a 5 km running race - a preliminary to the New York marathon. Due to start at 9 am - literally right outside their apartment! Our bedroom window was exactly in line with the start/finish line. It was pretty cold (still a few traces of last week's snow storm on the ground) but most runners were still just in shorts and singlets. I won't upload the video as it's 128 Meg but there's a shot at the start.

Had breakfast (toast and Vegemite!), then we caught the subway to mid-town - Dianne wanted to buy her new Motorola Android phone. I don't know what it is, but Naomi and Dianne always seem to attract the nutters. This poor guy (probably
Naomi in front of the Empire StateNaomi in front of the Empire StateNaomi in front of the Empire State

The Empre State Building in the background (Naomi in the foreground!). First glimpse! Dpoesn't seem that tall. (Not when you've seen the Burj Dubai up close!)
a paranoid schiizophrenic) sat next to Naomi and started rambling about god-knows-what. He wasn't behaving threateningly, but he was big, African-American and clearly not quite with it so I was a little concerned. Alex and I were on the opposite side of the carriage, so I gave another guy my seat so I could stand over him and get his attention away from Na. Dianne prudently decided we should get off and catch the next train, which came shortly so no real delay. Welcome to New York!

First stop the AT&T store. Change the logos and could be any Telstra shop. An hour later we emerged, Dianne's head bowed as she played with her new phone (like half the people we passed by!). Caught a cab down town to China town for lunch. Had to take a number and queue up and wait 45 minutes. Just like the Seinfeld episode we saw last week.

Lunch was New York's famous(?) soup dumplings. Steamed dumplings filled with soup. They come with instructions so you don't scald yourself eating them. Three was enough for me, but Alex hadn't had breakfast so polished off five. But no Soup Nazi.

Another cab
Waiting outside Joe's ShanghaiWaiting outside Joe's ShanghaiWaiting outside Joe's Shanghai

45 minute wait in line for the famous soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai
back uptown (the subway station we planned to use was closed, so a cab was the better option over a long walk to the next one) to Dianne & Alex's apartment.

Now we are sitting watching the Oscars live! Not the delayed, edited and sanitised version, but live! You only live once.

After taking out our New York clothes from our packs (we'll leave them here with Dianne) they weight half as much, which is definitely a good thing! Tomorrow morning we fly to Quito, we'll be in Ecuador in less than 24 hours. More then!

Advertisement



8th March 2010

New Yrok
Hey Jim and Nay, Thanks for the travel blog, what a great idea. Please keep up the news. Cheers Ross and Glyn

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb