Getting Stuck Into New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
January 19th 2010
Published: January 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Firstly the answer the the question from yesterdays blog.

The correct answer was e). I unfortunately had an England vs Greece 1998 Moment and forget my Coat but if my mum asks i got pick pocketed ok 😊

So the whole New York experience was a little chillier than i would have like with no coat and the unfortunate scenario that New Yorkers can quite crasp the idea of a rain coat. Everything needs to look like it bullet proof in some way. Fiona was not best impressed with my clumsyness with leaving the coat behind however i have looked on the brighter side and claim that it was all meant to litten the luggage load.

So day 2 began with the ambition to see all the major sights of New York in one Day. We need it would be intense. We didnt exactly get off to the best start and was delayed for half an hour after i imputted the wrong code into the safe. We therefore had to wait for security to come up and assist. Anyway we were still out for 9am and headed directly for Central Park which was only a couple of streets away. On the way we stopped off at Cafe Metro to get some Blueberry Danishes and Coffee, or in my case Hot Chocolate. We took our breakfast and found a fantastic spot in the park stting on some random rocks we overlooked all the dog walkers and joggers.
After we finished breakfast we work round a little loop coming across a skating rink and nice lake. After our peaceful start to the morning we moved towards the hussle and bussle of 5th Avenue. This is the main shopping street with illustrius names such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Tiffanys, Chloe and H&M! Fortunately i managed to cheep control of Fiona and stop here from going into any of these shops (well trained i say).

We continued walking southwards towards Time Square again. This didnt appear to have the same atmosphere as it did at night but still a real good buzz about the place. Our naivity continued and we kept going southwards in hunt for the empire state building. After the 30 minute walk which i started off explaining to Fi it would only be 5 minutes we reach the building. We brought tickets to go up to the 86th floor and experience the view of the city from the 360 degree observation tower. The views where just breathtaking. There were so many sights to take into account. In the background a big lady holding a light grabbed our attention and we decided that we would make our way to see the statue of liberty up close on a ferry ride. The journey to the most southernist pier took us past the Flat Iron Building (which needless to say reminded me of my Dad, David). We passed through the dodger neighbourhoods of Soho and Greenwich Village and finally after an hour long walk which i had to convince Fiona on a five minute basis i knew what i was doing. We even stumbled across Vesey Street and Ground Zero which it is now called. The ferry ride to Liberty Island was quick and painless and enabled us to get some good close up pictures of the fair lady herself.

I didnt realise the flame she was holding is not actually a live flame. I always thought it was. I was disraught to see it being gold painted metal.

After our long and tiring day we were both flagging so i though to cheer things up a little bit of retail theropy was needed and we decided to make our way to Abercombe and Fitch to treat ourselfs with a couple of items. After a quick change of clothes we headed out for dinner and felt like going to the Hard Rock Cafe for some typical American Dinning. The food was very typical of america though as the portions were vast and in the end proved too much for us.

This brought about the end of our busy day and adventful time in New York and all that was left to do was to go and pack our bags ready for out 6am flight to Bogota the next morning.

All in all a fantastic trip to New York and a great experience, bring on South America and warmer climates.

Ant and FI. x


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st January 2010

I was right
I WAS RIGHT lol i know u to well Mr Forgetfull! the pic's and blog are very good i have to say i am laughing to myself alot since reading them! I'm glad to see u are finding ur way around even if u are taking ur time lol so glad ur both having fun and feel relief that fi didn't have to cope with u ant on a 8hr flight with no entertainment ha ha love u both very much can't wait to read more who needs books hey xx
30th January 2010

Nice Pics
Enjoying your blog already. . . nice pics and commentary. Glad you made the most of your short time in NYC. With all that walking you'd probably have over heated with a jacket, lets considering subconcious foresight instead of forgetfulness. On to your next entry. . . p.s - eat up boy that portion size is peanuts.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb