Day 10 - The Bronx and Manhatten


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
November 24th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we ventured to The Bronx, only because it is where Yankee Stadium is. The Subway was an interesting trip, few shady characters, but great system. Heaps better than the crappy trains I put up with everyday. Got to the stadium well in advance of our tour, so walked the streets. I felt extremely uncomfortable, but Andrew was good. Bit of a role reversal for us.
Anyways, went on a tour of the new Yankee Stadium. It was the inaugural year for he stadium, which is built next door to the old one. Very state of the art facilities. Went into the museum and saw a few of the last 26 world championships trophies the Yankees have won (the new trophy isn’t there yet, it is still doing the rounds) and Babe Ruth memorabilia. Headed down to Monument Park, which has plaques and details of the best Yankees, one’s whose numbers have been retired. Then went in the Dugout. It was actually qit exciting. Headed into the locker room (no photos allowed). It was huge, every person has a laptop, and a separate section, and in the middle are couches and heaps of TV’s. Huge room!!

Got back to Manhatten (safely on the subway again) and headed to Circle Line Cruises. Was really good, headed down the Hudson river (just up from where the plane went down in Jan), up past Greenwich Village, New Jersey and past the financial district to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Beautiful sunset behind the statue (nice sunny day today). We then headed down east river under the Brooklyn Bridge. Was quite dark by this time (starts getting dark about4:30) and got some great photos of the island.

Andrew wanted do to happy hour somewhere, so we ended up in a pub a few blocks down from Times Sq. The pub had about 13 TV’s all with a different sport. Andrew was in his elements. Some yank started talking to us while we were sitting at the bar. Nice bloke, but a typical Yank as he talked about himself the whole time. Didn’t listen to anything we said. But it was fun to do the tourist thing.

Had a nice dinner, and did our last walk through Time Square. I stocked up on last minute clothes and now the fun part of packing for our flight to Toronto tomorrow. So sad to say good bye to NY 😞



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.1kb