Bloom-burg


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 27th 2009
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last Thursday Jim and I went to NYC for an overnight trip without the kids. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central (one of our favorite places), a reward for Jim's brief residency in China last month.

I call this page "Bloom-burg".....on our walks, we came across many gardens with flowers in bloom. More than you'd ever think for NYC (lead by Mayor Bloomberg). If you get my pun, thank you.

Over two days, we visited Ellis Island, walked from midtown to Battery Park, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, rode the Roosevelt Island tram, and saw a burlesque show. When in Rome, do what the Romans do. New York is my Rome and I'm not embarrassed to admit that I wanted to see a burlesque show.

We started out with a long (over 2 hours) walk to Battery Park from midtown. We hit part of the Hudson River walk/bike path. We've been on this before, but on the midtown section. It wraps around Manhattan like a precious gem.

Ellis Island was amazing.....incredible architecture and history all in one. A visit worth making without the kids. We'll take them when they are older. We have no idea which, if any, of our relatives passed through Ellis. Most likely, it was my German/Polish side of the family. Jim's parents came long after Ellis was closed, but their trip no less remarkable. Ellis is a symbol for their long journey to America.

Walking Manhattan, the length that we did (midtown to Battery), is something worth doing. Walk one way, take the subway back. You'll see the real NY -- little side streets with brownstones, kids at recess from school, and squares/parks tucked away for only walkers to see.

Thursday night we rode the F train down to the lower east side to the Slipper Room to see a burlesque show. While I thought we'd be boobed out for two hours, we weren't. It turned out to be a comedy show headed by a Scottish dude whose main talent was playing with fire -- eating it, rubbing it on himself, setting temporary flame to club ceilings and people. We were part of a diverse crowd of transvestites, lesbians, gays, couples, one camera-laden non-English speaking pervert, and bachelor party dudes. A $5 cover, no drink minimum, and two hours of funniness. I recommend seeing this show if you can
Hudson River WalkwayHudson River WalkwayHudson River Walkway

Part of the grounds of the Holocaust Museum.
(and willing to).

The next day we walked the Brooklyn Bridge both ways. Priceless (aka free) views of the city. The Brooklyn sides boasts Fulton Ferry State Park -- wide boardwalk with grassy areas, trees, and flowers. We grabbed a sandwich at a local bakery (me + GOOD food = happy) and enjoyed the views of NYC. The Fulton Ferry buildings are now just a shell but being restored. Again, amazing architecture.

We then walked to South Street Seaport from the Bridge. Enjoyed many margaritas at lunch time and sunny weather! Met the creator of Oobi and The Wonder Pets, which is produced right at the Seaport. Who'd a thought?

It was still early on Friday afternoon, so we rode the Roosevelt Island Tramway. Another great way to see the city for a nominal fee (subway fee). If you're afraid of heights or drowning, don't go on this. Anyway, we then took the cheesy .25 cent bus around the island for an an unguided tour. Public bus, no tour guide, just us looking for another cheap thrill. The Island has quite a history.

Left the city at rush hour on Friday, felt like the old days
Hudson River WalkwayHudson River WalkwayHudson River Walkway

One of the many marinas along the Walkway.
when I worked in Manhattan. Not wishing those days back again. But a visit, always worth it!







Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Empire State BuildingEmpire State Building
Empire State Building

View of Empire from some park on our walk downtown.
Holocaust MuseumHolocaust Museum
Holocaust Museum

Part of the grounds of the Museum are part of the Hudson River Walkway.
Trunk at Ellis IslandTrunk at Ellis Island
Trunk at Ellis Island

An original trunk from an immigrant at Ellis Island. It had the most detail of all the trunks.
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

Outside of main immigration hall. Photo does not do the architecture justice!
Tiles at Ellis IslandTiles at Ellis Island
Tiles at Ellis Island

Your Ellis Island relative walked on this tile.
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

Another view of the main hall.
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

View of Manhattan from Ellis.
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

View of the State of Liberty.
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

Main building used to process immigrants. Those aren't the immigrants, those are tourists ;).
Ellis IslandEllis Island
Ellis Island

This is the hall where all immigrants were processed.
Brooklyn BridgeBrooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge

Pedestrian walkway.
View from Brooklyn BridgeView from Brooklyn Bridge
View from Brooklyn Bridge

Looking at Manhattan Bridge. Fulton Ferry State Park below.
Statue of LibertyStatue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty

Can you see her? The view is better in person. Taken from Brooklyn Bridge.
Workers climbing the bridgeWorkers climbing the bridge
Workers climbing the bridge

Third cable in from left, you can see workers climbing towards the flag. Wish it were a public tour! I'd go.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb