New York City, USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

New York City - the best of the best of the best

Everything claims to be the best in this city...and if you dare to challenge it, it doesn´t matter as they´ll just proclaim they do something else better....at least better than you anyway. We´ve fallen in love with this city over and over and over again. Having received countless recommendations (thank you to everyone for sending them through - you know who you are!) on things to do, sights to see and places to eat, we had to make a tough call based on restricted time as to exactly what we would do....the difficult decision was made in all of 3 seconds....we would eat our way through the city. that thrown in with some rollerblading in central park (to counteract the weight gain; seemed like a good idea at the time). our plan worked until jean stacked it; but it would take more than a mild concussion, scrapes and bruising to stop us!! we continued to attack the city with the appetites of scavengers and decided that we would return later to see some of the city´s finer sights....• city highlights: it´s all about the food as we mentioned above....and my golly gosh there was so much of it! here´s what we tried (and it´s the best of the best according to the proprietors); best pastrami sandwich and chilli dog at Katz´s deli - it´s also the place infamous for meg ryan´s orgasmic dining experience....it´s true though. the food is orgasmic and the queues long; best bagel with cream cheese and lox at Russ & Daughters; best oversized-melt-in-you-mouth-and-all-over-your-hands warm chocolate chip cookie at the staten island ferry terminal in downtown NY; best cupcake and cheesecake slice at magnolia bakery; best ricotta chocolate cannoli and tiramisu at cafe palermo; best burger and milkshake at island burgers and shakes; best banana and chocolate pudding at sugar sweet sunshine; best donuts (to DIE for) at the donut plant which we visited everyday; best pizza slices in every pizza takeaway joint in little italy; on yeah...the statue of liberty, empire state building, ground zero, FAO schwarz, NY stock exchange, central park, shopping in soho, noho, exploring chinatown, little italy, korea town, west/east sides etc etc etc too much too much!• Accommodation: 4/5 for a great apartment on the lower east side - close to shopping and more food!• Food: as above....we were so happy being pigs in this city.• Misc: Jean´s tumble on rollerblades in central park had us in emergency for half a day to make sure that she was aokay to fly....it was amusing seeing her in a hospital gown being carted around in wheelchairs (although she was extremely embarrased); the shopping here has been incredible although expensive; visiting on the columbus day long weekend was a great idea - seeing the parade, tasting the foodstalls (best sweet and salty popcorn ever!).....we didn´t want to leave!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb