New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 9th 2008
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When we got to New York, we checked in to a Hostel on the Upper West Side called Central Park Hostel, which was in a good location but unfortunatly wasn't such a nice place to stay. So after a couple of days i moved to a nicer hostel round the corner and Ruth went to meet a friend from back home who was also there for the week.

The weather was amazing and when we arrived they were having a heat wave so it was very humid and as you can imagine, riding on the underground was extremely intense. But as i was used to hot countries by then is was something i just took in my stride and i made the most of the sunshine as much as i could knowing that it would not be as nice as that in England!

The first day was spend exploring Fifth Avenue and doing a spot of shopping and generally just getting our bearings. The city is divided up into different areas and it's quite difficult finding your way around at first, especially if you are used to the London underground system. But after a while you get you head around it and luckily for us, a woman we had met in Bali had given us a list of really good places to visit in New York because she was from there.

The rest of the week i spent independently while Ruth was with her friend, so i filled my days with lots of site seeing. Including the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground Zero, Greenwich Village, Museum Mile and the Museum of Modern Art to see their Dali Exhibition. Unfortunatly when i went to Washington Square it was under construction so not quite what i was expecting, but i had seen that before on a previous trip so not too disappointing.

On the Tuesday night the Hostel put on a pub crawl, so i went along on that which meant that i met some other travellers, we went to a few bars in the local area and ended up in a gay Kareoke bar, which was quite funny, had really good night.

The last part of the week was spent exploring Central Park and relaxing in the sun, then also going to see Strawberry Fields and the John Lennon Memorial.

There is no possible way you can see everything in New York, especially in just one week. But i did my best to see as much as i could before boarding the last flight of the trip. Back to England and back home.

It was an amazing adventure and i loved every minute of it, New York is such a busy and busling place, and it's also got an extremely friendly feel. I would definitely like to go back one day.

That's it from me for now though, i hope that whoever actually reads these blogs enjoyed sharing mine and Ruths Journey.

Lots of love Emily xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb