15. Deck the malls with boughs of holly...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 14th 2005
Published: December 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Rockerfeller Center AngelsRockerfeller Center AngelsRockerfeller Center Angels

You can't really fully appreciate it without the sound - the song that I remember from Home Alone was playing. Anyone know what that's actually called??
It's definitely THAT time of year. The bells are ringing (the random Santas on street corners who stand there with buckets are the main proponents of these), the children are singing (actually, crying their eyes out in shops is probably more accurate) and everyone else is spending far more than they ought to, anywhere they can! Everyone with a screen name on MSN has changed it to something "comically festive" (guilty), and the everyone starts paying each other a lot more attention at work, just in case you end up as their secret santa.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, THE AMERICAN WAY!

Actually it bears a striking resemblance to a British Christmas, except that, believe it or not, decorations go up later than in the UK. I think it has something to do with Thanksgiving - they seem to wait for that to be over before decking out the shops like a tinsel fairy gone nuts.

I was thinking it would let the pictures speak for themselves for once. For anyone round the world who can't appreciate the glories of angels, pine trees and twinkly lights, rejoice in this, your Christmas wake-up call.

Happy Christmas everyone! I'll be back in
Rockerfeller Center TreeRockerfeller Center TreeRockerfeller Center Tree

It's actually HUGE. And it smells so amazingly Christmassy. Mmmm fermenting pine needles...
the UK on Christmas eve, so please please email me with a list of things to do when I get home. Sod's law I get sucked into Christmas telly mayhem and never actually leave the house. Mum, that was a joke...

Cxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Flags at RockerfellerFlags at Rockerfeller
Flags at Rockerfeller

And a toy soldier the size of a house...
Angelic lightsAngelic lights
Angelic lights

And all the gags about blowing their own trumpets blah blah
Let it Snow - and it did!Let it Snow - and it did!
Let it Snow - and it did!

With the biggest snowflakes I have EVER seen - fist sized!
Snow in Bryant ParkSnow in Bryant Park
Snow in Bryant Park

About 2 foot deep in places.
The ubiquitous snow clumpThe ubiquitous snow clump
The ubiquitous snow clump

What would Calvin have to say though? It's hardly art...
Christmas meets MacysChristmas meets Macys
Christmas meets Macys

And the shoppers are all drawn like moths to designer bargains...
Newport lightsNewport lights
Newport lights

Even Newport goes mental for 'Holiday' lights. Twinkly reindeer and a garish Christmas Tree adorn the town square.


19th December 2005

Merry Christmas
That's the scariest snowman i've ever seen - like Calvin's. Merry Christmas hun, you know where I'd prefer to be right now... xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb