New York, Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 18th 2004
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We got into New York on the 14th of December - my birthday!! - and nearly froze when we got out of the terminal at 6am. We made our way over to the "Big Apple Hostel" and got ourselves organised for a few days of sight seeing. We were staying pretty much on Times square, which made sight seeing incredibly easy.

Over the next few days we managed to see most of the major sights, including the Empire State Building, the World Trade Center site, Wall St etc. We managed to get to go to the Phantom of the Opera, which was playing at the Majestic Theatre and had awesome seats as well. But the Statue of Liberty was the one we got lucky on. We were talking to one of the guys who works there, and he let us go and have a look up the inside of it, normally you need a special ticket to see it and stand in lines for ages.

Lundy headed over to London on the 15th, so it was a bit strange saying bye in the subway after travelling for so long together. However I was glad to not have to throw any more pillows at him to stop the snoring (hehehe, sorry Lundy). That afternoon I went and spent a while in B&H Photo, one of, if not the largest photographic stores in the world. They had so much cool stuff there and I had so little money. Aaaahhhh!!! The next day I went to Chicago, which wasn't any warmer and checked out the Field Museum of Natural Histroy. Their claim to fame was having the largest, most complete skeleton of a T-Rex in the world. There was also a really good exhibit on the Egyptians, with real recreation (I know that sounds like oxymoron, but stay with me) of an Egyptian tomb. They had excavated the sections from Egypt and then reassembled them in the museum, with clear perspex in front so you couldn't touch it.

The next day I caught a plane over to Minneapolis to stay with Sauli and Jenn for Christmas and New Year's, but I'll write about that more later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb