New York, New York


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody and welcome to our first proper blog entry. This is our fifth and final day in New York and we've been very busy. We arrived on Thursday afternoon and after a quicker than expected customs check, we took the underground to Manhattan Island. Richard was lucky enough to sit next to the New York crazy man who chatted to him throughout the journey! Our hostel was ok, we checked in then walked all the way to the Empire State Building, as Santos, the hostel owner, had told us it was going to be raining the rest of the week so this would be our only chance to see the view. On the way there we stopped for a slice of pizza and managed to catch the penalty shoot out in the Rangers game, alas they won! Everything you go to visit in New York involves an airport style security check and a very long queue. The view, however, from the Empire State building was great and we timed it just well as all the buildings began lighting up whilst we were there.

Day two - Got up early, had breakfast in Dunkin Donuts and headed Downtown to the Statue of Liberty ferry - another long queue and security check. An hour and a half of queuing and we were underneath the statue - there is 156 steps to the viewing platform but this is as high as we could go. The trip then continued to Ellis Island, which is where all the immigrants were processed when arriving in New York. Now a third of all Americans can trace their roots through this Island. In the afternoon we went to the former site of the world trade centre and then went to China Town for dinner - which was a bit disapointing, the Swallow in Juniper Green does better!

Day three - Went to Times Square, the home of neon signs and the musical. We then took a long walk down Broadway to Balthazar's Bistro. The food here was fab eventhough we had to wait for a table due to it being so popular. To make sure we got to spend our gift card (thanks everybody!) we made a booking for the following evening. We then headed to Grand Central Station, which is very grand and like the movies. Took a bus back and spent the evening in
Our hostel.Our hostel.Our hostel.

Central Park Studios. Sounds grander than they are!
a local Mexican cafe.

Day four - In the morning we went to the Gugenheim Museum, we were hoping to see Jackson Pollocks and Picassos but there were not on display and instead we saw the Cai Quo Qiang exhibition, which was impressive. As the sun had finally decided to appear we went to Central Park and watched some softball, went up Belvadere Castle ( not a real castle) saw the John Lennon Imagine mosaic and the watched the roller disco, which was cool. Then it was back to Balthazaar's for dinner where Richard had the rabbit leg special and Steph had a classic New York cheese burger, both of which were delicious. Then followed a little pub crawl, two bars! Here we watched baseball and the rodeo.

Day five - Today were taking the bus to Plilladelphia, so we'll let you know what happens there soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Inside the statue's base.Inside the statue's base.
Inside the statue's base.

Richard holding the original flame.
John Lennon's Imagine mosaic.John Lennon's Imagine mosaic.
John Lennon's Imagine mosaic.

Wasn't as impressive as we hoped.


6th May 2008

weeeeee!
All looks very exciting, keep up the good work!
8th May 2008

New York
A Rabbit leg for dinner? Couldn't have been much eating in that unless of course you helped Steph finish off her New York cheese burger!!
8th May 2008

Rabbit Leg!
He got nowhere near my New York cheese burger, got told to hop it!!!!!
8th May 2008

Philly cheese steaks
Nice, sounds a good time in new york. Keep Richard away from those Philiy cheese steak sarnies. Do you want onions on that? 'yep' Do you want mushrooms on that? 'yep' Do you want chilies on that? 'yep' Do you wan.....'I'll have everything please, and extra cheese'
2nd June 2008

it took me ages to work out you were doing a visual joke , i thought it was just a standard Rick catalogue pose!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb