Rockefeller Center


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 26th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

010101

A head-on view of the GE/RCA Building.
This area is probably familiar to most of us--we've maybe walked through the Center on a visit (it's centrally located and near both Times Square and St. Patrick's Cathedral), watched the New York City Christmas Tree being lit on a news program, seen the ice skating rink on post cards, can recognize the gold-colored sculpture of a man behind the rink, or know the shape of the building beyond (known commonly as either the GE Building or the RCA Building) from Saturday Night Live or the David Letterman Show. Actually, however, the Center is much larger than that, and consists of 19 commercial buildings spread over a 22 acre site between 5th and 7th Avenues from 48th to 51st Streets. Columbia University originally owned the land upon which it is built, but leased it to John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1928 (Columbia sold the land in 1985 to the Rockefeller Group for $400,000,000). Since 1989 the Center has changed hands several times. For a more in-depth history, I suggest you check Wikipedi(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_Center).

There are significant art works throughout the complex, both inside and out. The two best known sculptures are probably that of Atlas on 5th Avenue by
020202

A young ice skater.
Lee Lawrie (who has 12 works in the Center), and the bronze gilded image of Prometheus brining fire to mankind by Paul Manship just above the skating rink (see photos). The Mexican muralist Diego Rivera was commissioned by Nelson Rockefeller to paint a color fresco on the 1071 square foot wall in the lobby in 1932. After completing the work, which (unlike the sketches that were approved) contained the likeness of Lenin, Nelson paid Rivera and had the work destroyed. The lobby was then repainted by Jose Maria Sert in a large mural, "American Progress," which shows the country being constructed.

This is one building that still allows photography in its lobby, which is commendable, given the increasing number that do not. Indeed, some (like the Woolworth Building) do not even allow visitors to enter the building! But more on that later.

BTW--I had earlier written a blog about all the steel plates I'd seen in the streets of New York that had "FELIX' arc welded upon it. Richard wrote back with information he had discovered that revealed 'FELIX' to be Felix Associates L.L.C. of Port St. Lucie, Florida & the Bronx, who is a contractor
030303

Art work fore and aft, with skaters inbetween.
for Con Edison--the name is inscribed on the plate to prevent theft (like, who could carry one of those suckers off?!!).

Dan


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

0404
04

An overview of 'Prometheus,' the bronze gilded sculpture by Paul Manship.
0505
05

Hey, I'm Canadian--it is illegal up here to show an ice rink without a shot of the Zamboni refreshing the surface!
0606
06

In the area where the Christmas tree stands every holiday season there is currently an installation of an 'electric fountain,' one of a series of temporary fountains throughout the city.
0707
07

A facade in the Center showing the art work on the building.
0808
08

A large mosaic.
0909
09

A close-up.
1010
10

Another detail from the mosaic.
1111
11

Art work over the entrance door of the GE/RCA Building.
1212
12

Detail of the glass portion of that art work from outside the building.
1313
13

The same shot only from the inside looking out.
1414
14

The lobby area of the GE/RCA Building has a central atrium connected to two long hallways on either side. This is the hallway to the left, looking back from the end of the hallway towards the central lobby, and showing the mural.
1515
15

The same hallway, looking in the other direction back towards the lobby, showing the floor.
1616
16

The floor of the lobby and hallways.
1717
17

The design continues in the stairways.
1818
18

This shows the mural on the wall just above the central lobby desk when entering the building.
1919
19

The ceiling of the lobby.
2020
20

The ceiling of the lobby.
2121
21

Detail, lobby ceiling.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb