Oh Maaaan! We're in NYC!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 5th 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We’re here, now we knew it was going to be cold but jessuuus it’s COLD!

Hotel is in a brilliant position one block from the Empire State Building in midtown. Arrived late afternoon so went for a wander to get our bearings and ended up in a grand Irish bar serving great Guinness, tried to order a mixed platter to share ($20 each) but the barman wouldn’t sell it to us! Our nonplussed expressions led him to explain that the platter would feed 8 Americans, and us svelte limeys would be better off ordering a few single dishes, which we duly did, enjoyed and still waddled back to the hotel.

Fuelled by an American breakfast of hash browns, eggs, coffee and that traditional breakfast dish… burritos…. today we hit the tourist trail. Yes you guessed it Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Times Square, 5th Avenue, Wall Street, Ground Zero, Broadway and of course Macys and Tiffanys, punctuated only with the occasional stop to Starbucks to thaw out and break the icicles off our noses we walked and walked and walked. We did get the subway too and amazingly always went in the right direction and ended up in the right place.

Back in the hotel now thawing with a nice glass of red, and building up our stamina before heading off to a steak house and half a cow for supper.

Tomorrow we’re off to Bloomingdales, the Ugg shop and Central Park where I’m hoping to persuade Andy to go on a pony and trap ride (very touristy I know but the idea of a warm blanket might sway it) and then it’s off to Greenwich Village and Café Wha? for some live music in the evening.

Nina & Andy


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb