The Big Apple and The Big Sister


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 21st 2007
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stayed at Danielle's sister Cindy's house in Connecticut for about a week. We spent a lot of time relaxing, taking echo to the dog park, going into new york city for dinner and the bronx botanical garden, visiting sleepy hollow, playing glow in the dark mini golf, going to see a couple of movies, and just plain having fun. Danielle's best friend Jayme even came down from Boston for a day to visit. Cindy only lives about 1 hour outside of New York, so for two days we spent all day long exploring the city.

We did a 48-hour hop-on hop-off tour, which actually turned out to be the best thing for us. We didn't have to spend money on the subway because we could take any of the tours around to wherever we wanted to go...and pretty much everything we wanted to see was on the tour! On the first day, we did the uptown tour, seeing all of the ritzy condos that famour people live in, hanging out in central park, driving through harlem, seeing all of the museums (but not going in...that'll have to be a separate trip!), and generally just enjoying the sights from the top of a double decker bus. Then we did the downtown tour, seeing the world trade center, the world's largest department store (Macy's!), a lot of historical districts, Greenwich Village and Soho, Wall Street, Rockefeller Square, and on and on...

Then we left the city a little early and took the subway up to Yankee Stadium. Cindy gave us tickets to the game! So, we drank $8 beer, ate baseball consessions, and enjoyed the game and the fans. The fans were the best...shouting "we love you" one minute, and "you're stupid, you stink, get off the field" the next at their team...haha...the true New York Yankees fans. Gotta love New York!

The next day, we went in and took the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The Statue was just a statue...they don't let you climb up inside it anymore. Ellis Island was fantastic though...The exhibits there were so interesting that we spent a lot of time exploring the whole building used for checking in all of the hopeful immigrants.

Then we took the ferry back to Manhattan and went and walked around times square a little bit before we hopped on the night tour. The night tour took us down through Manhattan to see sights like the empire state building and some of the neighborhoods like little italy all lit up and full of locals enjoying their outdoor cafes. We got off and took the elevator to the top of the Empire State Building and watched the sun set over the city, which was fantastic. Then, back on the bus, which took us across the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn, where we toured around before coming back over and enjoying more of the lit-up Downtown. This tour was awesome...we had a lot of fun.

New York is an amazing city, where you can do the comprehensive tour in a couple of days, or spend an entire lifetime living in and getting to know the city. It has a pulse and character all of its own that we only got to experience from the outside, but it was well worth it. We loved New York, and definitely LOVED our time with Cindy and her boyfriend Mike. Every night Paul and I would look at each other and ask "What time are we heading out in the morning? Or can we stay another day?" But we've got to head off to see New England! Farewell New York and Cindy, but not Goodbye!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



22nd July 2007

Omigosh . . . NYC . . . greatest city on earth! We went there for our honeymoon and back for our 25th wedding anniversary. People didn't know why we didn't take a cruise instead. Were they KIDDING????
22nd July 2007

Miss you
Hi Auntie Dee and Unkie Paul! I am so happy to see you this morning, me and Mi-Mi are looking at you right now and I have to say it's nice see you everyday when Mi-Mi has to show you to me. Be careful and we love you mostes................Love your B-Hankers Hi you to, you look great as alway's and to see your smiles. pack is about ready to start so I hope to see you soon......Love Mom
28th July 2007

Yey!!
I am sooooooo taking notes from your blog b/c I'll be vacationing in NY in less than two weeks and I simply cannot wait!!! I'm so excited!!! (Kristy is rather scared!) One thing for sure that I want to do is the Sex and the City tour...Did u guys do that one? Hehehe! Too bad our schedules just don't match up...I miss u guys!! Love, Linda

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb