New York's that a way......thanks kid!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
March 20th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well last stop on the tour de force was New York. I was exhausted when i got there from memory (this was 3 months ago) and trying to be the cheap tourist, i attempted to navigate the NY subway system at midnight by myself. Tip for young players - don't do that. Doesn't work. Ends in disasterous cab rides at 2am in the morning.

I stayed quite north of the city on 106th St and Central Park West - it was the only place i could afford at the time as it was St Paddy's day weekend and the city was rammed full of people. For the first time in a long time i saw snow, and lots of it, as the last big storm hit New York. It was bitterly cold and windy but that sort of made NY better in a way.

After 4 months in pretty 3rd world countries, i was totally overwhelmed when i wandered into Times Square. I had been told by countless people how bright and commercialised it was, but nothing prepared me for when i got there. Basically picture when Borat wanders into Times Square in the movie, tilts his head back, and walks around in circles in awe and you pretty much have an image of what i looked like.

Managed to do most of the touristy stuff whilst i was there that was in my budget including going to a comedy show and being stuck on a table with the drunkest girl in the whole joint who eventually got ejected and left me by myself at the mercy of the comedian who thought it would be a great laugh to take it out on the Aussie traveller, checking out a New York Knicks game at *cue the loud booming voice* MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (the Knicks lost by 1, and i had to get my ticket from a tout for 4 times the normal price), doing the museums, walking Central Park from 106th street all the way down, gawking at the World Trade Centre hole (which is nothing more than a construction site now), taking the free ferry to view the Statue of Liberty, eating bagels with cream cheese for brekkie every morning and slices of pizza for dinner every night, as well as getting into the true spirit of St Pat's day by drinking copious amounts of Guinness and Budweiser at so called Irish bars in Soho and Little Italy.

It was a great five days there, but the time had come to jet off to the motherland and catch up with some old faces, find some work, and recrue some of the 1000's of dollars that i'd spent over the past months. And thats where i am now - London is incredible. So much going on all the time, and so incredibly multicultural. I dont think i actually hear an English accent on my bus in the morning, or if they are there they are drowned out by the Polish, Aussies and Africans.

Will update from London with all the goss when i get some more free time - but for now i better get back to my data monkey job.

Copya!




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



18th June 2007

Hey!
Hey Craig! I loved this blog! I have never been to New York, but I can't wait to go! I am ready to hear all about London.
18th June 2007

Love the peanut pic!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb