New York Wedding Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
November 4th 2018
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

When Sarah and I got engaged in June 2017 we had no real idea of when we would get hitched and certainly no idea where. In June this year we ended several years of living between my flat and Sarah's house and moved into our own house and garden, and had a long hot summer getting things set up. With the major work done it was then time to do the deed and we had decided on New York. I'd casually suggested it as we wanted a quiet affair abroad and I'd suggested New York, Sarah had dismissed the idea but on further thought and research decided that it was the place. I'd been pre blog in 2003 and it was on Sarah's bucket list.

We flew Edinburgh to Heathrow then Virgin over to JFK loving our 'mile high high tea' then were kept waiting ages for a shuttle to our hotel which when it finally turned up was a nightmare, seriously consider spending a bit more (as we did on the return) and get a taxi. Booked into the Hudson hotel by St Columbus circle. We chose it for style over luxury but we just loved the vibe and has plenty of places to enjoy an easy drink.

We'd arranged both our parents to be there, sadly last minute for medical reasons my parents could not fly so Sarah's parents were the witnesses as we got married on 31st December at the Marridge Bureau.

Order of the day:

Early breakfast at 'Fluffys diner' All night watchmen and policemen, perfect!

Get changed in our cramped hotel room watching American news channels.

Subway to our wedding venue, meet Sarah's parents and get through security

Get married with my folks on Facetime, so quick and simple just as we wanted.

Post marridge coffee over the road, all you need.

Subway up to Central park, lovely wedding brunch in the park then awkward photo session, we're not really photo people.

Facetime with parents and rest, then pick up Burritos form the local supermarket deli and eat them on rocks in the park

Drinks with Sarah's parents then big meal at Gallaghers legendary Steak house, stroll to Times Square then back to hotel to collapse on bed, New York is tiring!



It's easy to get married in New York, some preparation from home helps, you have to get the license in advance in advance so you need to leave time for that, the day after the wedding we had a full morning of going round offices ensuring we had everything including the 'extended certificate' which ensures you are legit back home. But we also loved our time just exploring Central Park, High Line Garden walk, Empire State Building, open top bus tour (saves the legs) amongst other sights. And best of all was during the day it was a late October heatwave but still cold at night, great weather combination.

For us the keeping things simple proved whilst New York is a pricey place if you try you can keep costs down and still have the trip of lifetime, we found that eating at supermarket delis/foodhalls is a tasty and budget friendly way to eat and you can't beat a down to earth diner if you push back from the tourist blocks. And of course got married to the love of my life, can't get better than that! And we'll be back one day as with the wedding preparation/wrap up 5 days was not nearly enough time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb