Buffer day in New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Brooklyn
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Update from Jack:

After yesterday's pleasant trip on the Megabus, we arrived in New York City and met up with my sister Alice and her husband Morgan. They have been wonderful hosts for our buffer day before we leave for Peru. We spent last night drinking tasty summer beverages and playing board games (one of Morgan's passions). This morning we walked around Park Slope, Brooklyn. We found the Chip Shop, as seen on the Food Network, Tessa thinks it's called "Deep Fried Nation," where we had fish 'n' chips and balls of deep fried mac'n'cheese. Across the street was the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co., which is the coolest front for an after-school program ever. Turns out BSSC is one of many writing/creativity themed shops and youth centers that are founded by Dave Eggers, so we talked to the dude working there about that for a while. Way to go Dave Eggers! Turns out in real life you like helping kids and you're not hilariously-tragically self-involved and ironically-but-not-really pretentious!

We then traveled down to the southernmost point of the mainland city and took the Staten Island Ferry to... Staten Island. This was notable because we got a great view of the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge, got to sing "I'm on a Boat" to eat other, and Alice and I can now say we've officially been in all 5 boroughs. (Tessa and Devin are at a strong 3.)

This was around when Tessa realized that she forgot the guidebook to Peru, so we headed up to Union Square and The Strand. Despite the annoyance of re-buying the same book, The Strand is really cool so it was at least worth the trip. We met up with Morgan for a tasty NYC-only dinner at an eatery called Dogmatic. Their deal is that they cook these gourmet, all-natural, organic, etc., sausages and fit them inside baguettes with super tasty sauces. Now we're back in their comfy apartment in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, where we're resting and preparing for our big adventure tomorrow! Tessa is re-highlighting her new copy of the travel guide and we're getting pretty excited. Hopefully Aron and Cassi will find/use the other copy back home, because the things she's finding sound really great!

You'll find pictures below. Don't know when we'll have access to the internet again, but until then hasta luego!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tasty foodTasty food
Tasty food

Fish'n'Chips on the right, a ball of fried mac'n'cheese on the left
SuperJack!SuperJack!
SuperJack!

There were many superhero costume and accessory options, all for sale. For real. Tessa wished all her brothers could see it.
The LabThe Lab
The Lab

Experiments in the newest superhero technology
Lady LibertyLady Liberty
Lady Liberty

What a dame.
Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 1Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 1
Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 1

Notice the crazy mural
Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 2Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 2
Alice and Tessa at Dogmatic 2

...and the satisfied patrons


23rd June 2009

yay for all!
Have fun and keep sending updates. I'm so excited for you all! PS: I can't get over the fried balls of mac n' cheese.
23rd June 2009

Great day
Sounds like you guys are of to a great start having enjoyed the sights of Brooklyn! Have a good flight to Peru--Luv
24th June 2009

Super Hero Supply Co.
This may be one of the best things I have ever seen! The online catalog is fantastic--where else can you get a gallon of antimatter, invisibility goggles, and free shipping?

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb