Monet Exhibit at New York Botanical Garden June 2012


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Bronx
June 20th 2012
Published: October 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Great ConservatoryThe Great ConservatoryThe Great Conservatory

Head to the left upon entering the Conservatory. You'll then circle around to an outdoor reflecting pool full of a wide variety of water lilies.
Being in Paris so near Giverny reminded me that I never finished the blog about the Monet Exhibit which closed October 17 at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx. The landscapers and gardeners who planned this exhibit with its replica of the gardens of Giverny were up to the amazing challenge. They brought the color, feel, and tone of acres and acres of ponds and gardens created by Monet in France into half of the Great Conservatory, one of the reflecting pools, and the top and bottom floors of the on-site library for a Giverney experience on this side of the big pond. Nell hired a limo - Thank You Ed of Today's Limo - to take six of us from Schenectady to the Bronx. I had a busy summer, this exhibit is now closed. Sorry if you missed it. But DO get to the Botanical Garden - I want to taste it in every season after this brief spring foray!



Side trip worth the extra time would be to the REAL Little Italy in NYC - Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, less than a mile from the Botanical Garden. Wonderful Italian shops and restaurants. Very
Delphinium and HollyhockDelphinium and HollyhockDelphinium and Hollyhock

The exhibit changed with the seasons; we were there at the beginning of the summer!
home town feel here!

Another side trip worth the extra time would be the Bronx Zoo, exactly across the street from Botanical Garden. Zita and I have come up here by bus and by train out of Grand Central Station. The web sites give good directions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Bridge The Bridge
The Bridge

If I hadn't actually been to Giverny and seen the actual paint colors that Monet used on his garden accessories I wouldn't have believed this was really his choice. Almost garish!
The GirlsThe Girls
The Girls

Thanks again Ed of Today's Limo!
The LibraryThe Library
The Library

There was an exhibit of a few Monet's, one of which has never before been in the US, in the Library!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb