Letchworth State Park - Grand Canyon of the East?


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was the first day that felt like a road trip after weeks of moving and packing! The truck was finally loaded, we were heading west, the sun was shining and XM Classic Rock was playing on the radio. All the old carefree feelings of being out on the open road came flooding back!

We left Sherrill in Central New York towards our first destination, Letchworth State Park, rated the #1 State Park in the country and known as the Grand Canyon of the East. Reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were ready to be blown away, which is probably never a good thing. It was really pretty as the photos will attest but not quite up to the hype. To be fair, this is early Spring and we only visited for half a day.

The northern entrance below Geneseo NY University takes you past turnouts overlooking a dam with very little water. If you like to watch swarms of turkey vultures circle dry riverbeds, this is the place for you!

As we continued south, the stops provided increasingly better views of the winding Genesee River and canyon walls. After we picked up info at the Visitor Center, we took the side loop to the best vantage points of the Upper and Middle waterfalls. The latter, located just below the Glen Iris Inn (inn and food highly recommended on Trip Advisor), reflected a vivid rainbow. A delightful young man who works for the national park system in Singapore was capturing this scene with his camera. He’s been on an expedition of Northeastern US Parks, has covered Acadia in Maine, Watkins Glen, Letchworth today and will complete the tour in Niagara Falls. He says the parks he’s seen so far surpass anything back home in Singapore.

With so much more beauty to enjoy in the weeks and months ahead, we feel very fortunate. Today was a satisfying start to the big adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



8th May 2015
Memorial Quote

off to a great start!
very pretty start to a wonderful trip! I've "heard" we have waterfalls in NYS but have never experienced them - ex. Niagara Falls.
8th May 2015

Amazing shots
Love the pictures. My wife went to Geneseo. I will see if these pics bring back any memories for her.
15th May 2015
Viewing Genessee River

Genessee River
Beautiful shots! I was born in Olean, NY which is about an hour south of this park. And you may know this but they make Genesee Beer from that river. It was very popular in my hometown area. Loving all these pictures and the ones you posted on FB. Love to you!!!!
13th June 2015

Siser follower
Look forward to visiting here in the near future~ perhaps in summertime when the living is easy!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb