Autumn in New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Catskill
October 24th 2015
Published: May 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Thanks to Tom Hanks, I always equate bouquets of sharpened pencils with autumn in New York. "It makes me want to go out and buy school supplies."



Mark and I traveled north to celebrate his sister’s wedding. We were not yet acclimated to the heat and humidity in our new homebase of Orlando, and the crisp fall weather was a welcome reprieve. On our drive to the Catskill Mountains, we took the scenic drive to Sunnyside and stopped at the historic home of Washington Irving (“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”). The tour was delightful. All employees wore historic-looking garments and the tour leader spoke about the history of the house and famous author in the present tense, “At this time, Irving travels to France…” and such. There were fewer Halloween decorations than I expected, but the faux grave yard was very entertaining.





Onward to the Catskills. From this point, I really have no idea what town we drove to or how we got there. But our arrival in the mountains was marked by brilliant hues of oranges and yellows. Coming from Evergreen State, I was amazed at all the color. From here, the wedding festivities took over. It was a sweet ceremony, perfect for the couple, followed by a giant social reception. And then we were back in Orlando.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb