Blue Moon of Kentucky, Keep on Shinin'


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Adirondacks
September 10th 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Old Forge outside the hardware storeOld Forge outside the hardware storeOld Forge outside the hardware store

Picture stolen from Sara Koenig
This fall I have an internship in Gloucester, MA. To make the 11+hour trip more interesting, my good friend, Sara joined me on an East Coast roadtrip. The goal was Boston to visit a friend from high school. We decided to make things more interesting by stopping through Adirondack National Park in New York state. Honestly, I would recommend everyone spending some time out there. It's the largest(I think?) National Park and it's absolutely amazing.

We made stops in Old Forge (thanks for the recommendation, Travel Channel), where we stocked up on local goods at the farmer's market and stopped in at the Cohen Brother's hardware store. Heading out along route 28, we happened upon many adorable, mountain towns. As evening approached we searched for a camping spot. In spite of packed campsites, we were directed to a wonderful (and free) location along Lake Durant. For dinner we wandered upon the Bear Trap which was the most fantastic surprise of our trip. Keep in mind, we didn't plan ANYTHING. To fall upon a hole in the wall diner serving an amazingly delicious prime rib dinner was enough to make us cry. The next day we packed up and headed to Blue Mountain Lake, probably our favorite little town of this trip. There we took a "moderate" hike up Castle Rock where we experienced minor asthma attacks, the calming sounds of rattle snakes, the inability to follow a path, and the most gorgeous view you could imagine. At the top we met a seasoned Adirondack visitor, Carol something, who directed us to one amazing pie. From there we headed out of the beautiful mountains and back to disgusting highway traffic.

Yes, Massachusetts drivers are as bad as they say.

In Boston, we had a fantastic time walking (and I mean WALKING) around the city, catching up with Kathryn and learning what she's been doing for the last year. The restaurant she works at, Toro, is fantastic and has the most fantastic, public drinking game ever; order the Parrone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



25th September 2009

great pics
Hi Leah, sounds like you had a great time. Pics are great. Our cruise was very nice. Didn't see any whales but saw the sprays from them. Good luck in Boston and the whales. Aunt Phyllis

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb