My Road Trip Day 7


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Still in Angel Fire New Mexico. Got up this morning and rode to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park in Angel Fire.

The Memorial was constructed from 1968 - 1971 and ws the first major Vietnam memorial in the Wnited States. The site received wide attention in th 70's and helped inspire the establishment on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., in 1982. In 1987 Congress also recognized Angel Fire as a Memorial of national significance.

Then rode the "Enchanted Circle" Angel Fire - Eagle Nest - Red River - Questa - Taos- Angel Fire.

Made side trip to the Rio Grand Gorge Bridge. Rafters from the bridge looked like match boxes in the water. 2000 Ft. from the bridge to the water.

Miles today 106 Total Miles 1102


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Vietnam Memorial Angel Fire NMVietnam Memorial Angel Fire NM
Vietnam Memorial Angel Fire NM

Graves of Dr. Westphall and wife. Their son First Lieutenant David Westphall was among sixteen Marines killed in an ambush in Con Thien, Vietnam. The grieving Westphalls used David's insurance policies as a catalyst for the construction of the Peace and Brotherhood Chapel and formed the David Westphall Veterans Foundation to support it.
Vietnam Memorial Angel Fire NM"Vietnam Memorial Angel Fire NM"
Vietnam Memorial Angel Fire NM"

"Dear Mom and Dad" On Memorial Day 2003, Taos artist Doug Scott dedicated his interpretation of a soldier writing home from war. This life-size statue depicts an American infantryman in the field trying his best to keep in touch with folks back home.
Rio Grande GorgeRio Grande Gorge
Rio Grande Gorge

Raft in picture


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb