Driving northern NM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
October 25th 2004
Published: October 25th 2004
Edit Blog Post

October 25, Monday

This another driving day. We drove from Taos to Santa Fe to Pecos. We wanted to do a section of the Santa Fe Trail, so we were sort of backtracking here. We spent the night in Las Vegas, (not Nevada, Las Vegas) New Mexico. We found a nice little Spanish restaurant, got to a movie and that was it for the day.

October 26, Tuesday
New Mexico


On the road again to Fort Union, then we spent the night in Raton, an old coal town that has sort of gone down the tubes. We rented a video at the Wal-Mart, got our pictures developed, picked up some more supplies. We even found a Carnegie Mellon Library!

October 27, Wednesday
Capulin Volcano, NM

Drove a “Bob road” - all day. The first stop was Capulin Volcano; we hiked the rim and all the way down into the volcano, had lunch at a country store, and then on to Oklahoma. We made the high point in Oklahoma, which is the Black Mesa, named for the volcanoes found there. It was a 4.6-mile hike each way; that wasn’t the challenge, the challenge was we were losing daylight. We arrived just before 3 p.m., so we put a wiggle on and started out. The climb is under 1,000 feet, but then there is another mile + across the mesa at the top, one of the largest mesas in the world, to the monument. We did it and were back to see a full moon just rising by 6 p.m. - 9.2 miles in 3 hours, whew! Since it gets dark early in the canyon, we hightailed it to the Black Mesa State Park Campground - a beautiful campground, plug-in’s, cement pads, it was just that it was very dark and sort of winding through cattle country, but we arrived safe and sound.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Carneige Library Raton NMCarneige Library Raton NM
Carneige Library Raton NM

Being from Pittsburgh we know the Libraries that he built but did not know about this one
Hot PepperHot Pepper
Hot Pepper

You would see this all over


Tot: 0.435s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 41; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb