Taos, Notche de Altares


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
October 29th 2021
Published: November 3rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

We have still had problems with the heater so decided to skip travels in Utah. Camping in really cold weather without good heat is not an option. Hence, we decided to stay another 2 days in Taos.

I went to the campground office and asked if we could stay another 2 nights. Unfortunately, there were no sites with full hook-ups, we’d have to move to another side without a dump. We could do this easily.

The woman at the front desk told us that there was a Hot Air Balloon festival that weekend, and if we looked out over the valley, we could still see some of the balloons in the air. We did look and saw a couple of balloons. She gave me the web site so that I could look up the events. She also gave me info on the best places to be for photos.

I went back to the RV and looked up site and things to do in Taos. Tonight, was a meet and greet for the ballooners but for us there was the Noche de Alteras. https://livetaos.com/events/noche-de-altares-night-of-altars/

We took time in the afternoon to shop in the Taos Plaza. We needed to finished buying Christmas presents for the grandkids, buy a new coffee grinder as we forgot ours, and buy more fabric for new cushions for the RV and fabric for table clothes. We shopped until the stores closed then sat down and watched the set up for the Noche de Alteras.

As people set up their individual altars, we walked and stopped and spoke with each of the individuals. A cousin gone too soon, a sister, beloved pets, mothers, grandparents and fathers. Having had 2 deaths in our own family recently, 1 a young person very recently, we could feel the pain.

The Noche de Alteras is a celebration of the Day of the Dead Altar. At about sunset there was a traditional ceremony to set up the flowers, there were traditional dances, some accompanied by drums, flutes and conches. The dances were so beautiful, so intricate, I wanted to learn the dances and participate.

After the dances the woman who was a main organizer gave a short talk about the altar and the way it is set. She explained and we understood. And although, our altar is not set up correctly, it is our altar and our ancestors will understand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb