Last Day in Taos, and Spent with Hot Air Balloons


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
October 30th 2021
Published: November 7th 2021
Edit Blog Post

This was our last day in New Mexico, we intended to make the best of it.

1st an early morning at the mass ascension, the ascension of both larger and smaller balloons in the morning. 2nd an evening for the balloon light up and Trick or Treating for the community.

The balloon festival is not as large as the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, but the Taos festival is fun and local. It is a topic that we heard about in the local restaurants and on the streets, the residents are proud of the festival.

For the morning ascension we went to the spot recommended by the RV staff, on a nearby hill. We got there by 8 am but there were no balloons in sight. We then went down to where the balloons were launching and many balloons were just taking off. I was able to get photos of the balloons launching. We then drove around, we thought we’d go back up on the hill but saw where the balloons were landing, so drove over to that site and saw several land up close.

After watching the balloons lift off and land, we found that we could drive straight to Ricky’s for breakfast. We didn’t feel bad about going to a local place; me with my dirty rubber boots and Dale with his worn-out hiking boots. We looked like the natives.

After a filling breakfast we went back to the RV, Dale to make sure the RV was ready to travel home and me to get the interior ready.

The afternoon was filled with last minute shopping then getting to the site of the balloon lighting. We didn’t know what to expect with this.

We got to the site early so that we’d have a good parking place. After a bit the balloon teams started to arrive, as did the trick or treaters. Both kids and adults were dressed up in great costumes. By 6 pm there were lots of families, kids running around and balloons were starting to air up.

The balloon lighting consisted of the pilots igniting their burners which shot hot air into the balloons. The flames were so bright that they lit up the entire interior of the balloon; sometimes in a wave, sometimes all at the same time. As it got dark it was such a wonderful site, the balloons all lit up. And for a cold night, it was warm by the balloon baskets.

It was a fun time as the crowd was ready to have a good time, counting down for the various activities and kids running around.

After one last soul satisfying dinner at Orlando’s these 2 travelers were reluctantly ready to head west.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb