Touring Taos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
July 12th 2020
Published: July 13th 2020
Edit Blog Post

blog 07-12-20 Taos Tour and Rain



It was another cool night and just delightful to sleep without the air conditioner. The temperature fluctuates 40 degrees between night and day, thank goodness or it would be intolerable.

Watson and I took a nice walk this morning before it got too hot. We walked around the campground which was pretty quiet after the weekend. I straightened up inside the camper and cleaned up the kitchen, just boring stuff.



At 1:45 I met the trolley that picked me up at the campground and off we went to the Plaza to pick up 3 other customers. The trolley held 36 but only 4 of us were on board plus the driver and tour guide, Dave. Business is way down because of the virus.



Dave told us about the history of the region and how it involved the Spanish, fur traders, and 3 different tribes of Native Americans. The missionaries had a profound influence in how the groups got along, some were good, some not so much. One of the best missionaries was Father Martinez. He was loved by the Indians and he helped with the peace in the area. His father had a hacienda that was the center of his business as a trader between Mexico and the areas as far away as Wyoming. Due to the love for his son (Father Martinez) the elder Mr Martinez was able to have a thriving business and become one of the area's most influential people. His hacienda is now a prominent museum. Of course it was closed so I'll have to visit at a later date.



Then we drove along a winding road where some beautiful homes were built mixed with the original homes, the blending was perfect. Most of the homes are adobe or now the modern ones are concrete covered in adobe. Adobe is a mixture of a special mud, straw and water.



Our journey took us to a very historic church built of Adobe and completely recovered each year in June by the entire congregation. It takes a week and hundreds of people but the job is done with love. The church is San Francisco de Asis. Pictures



That was the end of our tour but I now have a better idea of the lay out of Taos and hope I can navigate around without getting completely lost.



Back home it was time for our families weekly zoom meeting. There was lots of news about buying houses, hope all goes well in the buying business.



I made a stir fry for dinner and while eating there was a strange sound outside, it was rain. Hooray!! It only rained a little but enough to cool the temps down to 75 and produce some amazing cloud formations. Pictures

Doesn't look like a good night to go comet viewing, poo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb