Roswell / Calamity in Carlsbad


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Roswell
September 10th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After our episode in Deming we finally left Sunday morning for Roswell. We're not sure what it was we were expecting to find. It's just a small New Mexico town that has an alien/UFO story dating back to 1949. That's it. There is the UFO Museum & Research Center and then there are a few shops that sell alien themed T-shirts, shot glasses and such. I thought the lamp posts were original so please check the photos for one. The museum had a lot of the original newspaper articles from 1949 on display and replicas of crash debris based on descriptions that were given. There was a section about ancient cultures and supposed alien contact which was a different. I think if you're a hardcore believer it would be the place for you but I didn't see/read anything there that I haven't seen in a Sci-Fi channel special. After the visit to the museum we left for Texas.

This is where the calamity part of the story comes in. We stopped for gas in the town of Carlsbad, NM. Before cutting the engine off to fill up, the new truck (new to us anyway) was making an awful noise. We got gas and turned it back on. Horrible squeal. Kim pulled forward into a parking spot and lost power steering. Making a long story short the A/C compressor seized after driving for 319 miles. We had to stay in Carlsbad 2 nights for the $1200 repair to get done. Luckily the car dealership covers the first 500 miles so that expense was out of there pocket. Tonight (Tuesday) we are in Fort Stockton, TX and will be leaving tomorrow for San Antonio!

Next Update: Does the Alamo have a basement?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Liquid SuspensionLiquid Suspension
Liquid Suspension

Where's Kim's labcoat?
Mile 319Mile 319
Mile 319

Our belt snapped at Exxon (right) and got repaired at Carlsbad Imports (left).


10th September 2008

You murderers!
Stop hurting those poor cars! (although it could have been the government warning you for getting too close to "the truth")
10th September 2008

Home Sick
Hi Guys! I feel aweful about the whole jeep thing. Glad your trudging through and cant wait for you guys to get home! Jolly Ps- Your nieghbors dont hate you, just a slight amount of disgust maybe!
10th September 2008

ooooh
A second pee-wee's big adventure quote! I like! And apparently I have "the bomb" parties... according to Auntie Chris... but I'm glad you guys are back on the road and I miss you bunches! Talk to you soon! <3
12th September 2008

Remember the show roswell? Did they have anything there from the show or did they never really film it there? Good luck though with the new car hope you have fun in Texas yeeha......
17th September 2008

ummmm yeah....
so i'm obviously a little late on the comment... but i hope you guys had a great time. see you in VEGAS!!!
18th September 2008

Cars suck
You should have went on horseback> Of course you'd only be in CT. by now. Be careful in Texas, I hear that there only two things from there.........

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb