White Sands National Memorial


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

....quick hello before we head on the road tomorrow.

Last night we decided to set the alarm real early (5am) and take a day trip to White Sands National Memorial. The wind was not in our favor for a good night of sleep- in fact at about 3am Jordan rolled over and said if we don't fall asleep soon I say we hit the road! Needless to say when he alarm went off neither of us was ready to go anywhere- but with a black furry companion along for our hike through the dessert we headed (east!).

The dunes are beautiful and pure white- for as far as you can see. We hiked bare foot - it was like a 5 mile pedicure!! At about mile 1.7 we felt like we were almost there! The sun started to shine through the clouds and Kona was hot- and sad she's picky and idiot feel like eating her breakfast no matter what we tried- she ate my granola bar and continued on With a little extra sugar in her!

The US Army is testing their newest fighter planes at the White Sands base and we saw those overhead for a while- even heard a sonic boom- it was intense.

We decided to treat ourselves to dinner out in Las Cruces at one of the top rated Mexian resturants and both decided 1. We can't handle hot foods an 2. We prefer true Mexican over 'New' Mexican!

The wind is ripping through our adobe shelter again tonight as I type- Kona and Jo are down at the water- someone is sure going to miss this lake in front of us!!

Heading west in the morning to Gila Hot Springs NM. Should be neat to check out some hot springs and also the Gila cliff dwellings.

We'll update as soon as we can and also add some pictures from today.

XO S*

Advertisement



7th April 2013

Stayed in Las Cruses in '91 at a beautiful hotel with Kim. Great restaurant in the center with a tropical garden. Bobbo spent alot of time their during his Davidson years. Windy in NH too!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb