That is one big hole in the ground


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Gallup
May 27th 2011
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.5278, -108.744

After a breakfast of huevos rancheros we hit the road heading for the Arizona state line. We saw great scenery on our drive through western New Mexico and into Arizona. We made a stop at Meteor Crater between Winslow and Flagstaff. Meteor Crater is nearly one mile across, 2.4 miles in circumference and more than 550 feet deep. Meteor Crater is the breath-taking result of a collision between a piece of an asteroid travelling at 26,000 miles per hour and planet Earth approximately 50,000 years ago. Our friend Jim was here six months ago and raved about it. It was amazing. Far better than I thought it would be. On the way out Kim bought me a souvenir piece of the actual meteor that caused the crater. As we left the crater we stopped at a Route 66 landmark in Twin Arrows Arizona. It was the two big arrows at the Twin Arrows Trading post. The trading post has long been abandoned but the arrows were still there. We continued on through the painted dessert and on toward Flagstaff. Our next stop was the south rim of the Grand Canon. Oh my god.....I had heard about it but until you actually stand on the edge looking into it for yourself you can not imagine the natural beauty of it. It is one of those things that even though you are there in person and you know you are looking at it still looks fake. We continued though the Grand Canyon State Park to all the scenic view points stopping, taking photos and making Kim very nervous because of the sharp drop offs into the very deep canyon. We headed into Flagstaff where we got a room at a local motel and grabbed carry out dinner from the Galaxy Diner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th June 2011

Yes, when you see the Grand Canyon, you can see why it was named "Grand". What I find amazing is that God new that we would find these kinds of earth formations awe inspiring. What a beautiful earth He has made for us to enjoy. Between t
he Grand Canyon and the huge mountains, what is not to love about the great West.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb