2012 Yellowstone Trip - Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Clayton
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dinosaur Statue 1Dinosaur Statue 1Dinosaur Statue 1

Dinosaur Statue in city park at Clayton NM
Saturday Aug 18th

Day 1

I have wanted to go back to Yellowstone for several years so I started planning this trip for Mama and I last December. The day had finally come to leave on our two week trip. I picked up a rental car from Hertz on Friday 17th. When I started the car Saturday morning to leave to go pick up mama, I noticed the brake light was on. I checked the emergency brake and it was off. I looked at the owner’s manual and it said the brake light would come on if the anti-lock brakes were not in use so I didn’t worry about it too much.

I picked up mama and we were on the road by 9:30. We made it as far as 30 miles down the road before we had to stop at Wal-Mart. Mama needed batteries for her camera. I have yet to go on a trip with mama and not have to stop at Wal-Mart!!

We continued up hwy 82 to Wichita Falls where we stopped at Carl Jr’s for lunch. There is one on the west side of town with an easy on and off which
Dinosaur Statue 2Dinosaur Statue 2Dinosaur Statue 2

City park at Clayton NM
we have stopped at the last few times we have come through there. After lunch we headed on down the road toward Amarillo. We took the business route through several of the towns along the way just to see the towns.

We drove to Clayton New Mexico and spent the night there. Mama wanted to spent the night in Clayton at the Super 8 because she had good memories of staying there on a trip she took several years ago.

After we checked into the motel we went to eat at Dairy Queen then drove around the town some. In the past, we had always just driven through the town so we didn’t know what was in the area. We stopped at a city park on Hwy 87 that had some dinosaur statues .We just fooled around taking pictures and acting silly. The city park had a sign with information about a state park 12 miles north of town where you could see dinosaur tracks. Mama said she would like to go out there the next day before we left the area. We headed back to the hotel was in bed by 8:00 P.M. MST.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

City ParkCity Park
City Park

I told mama the rocks around the tree was dinosaur poop :)


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb