Train to Santa Fe


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Train ride to Santa Fe


The wind was rocking the RV last night. We are sitting on the top of the West Mesa, which is completely unprotected by anything. We have a beautiful view of the Sandia Mountains and can see for miles.

It was an early start this morning. We decided to take the Rail Runner Express train from Montana, just a few miles outside downtown Albuquerque into Santa Fe. Incredible views of the Sandia’s, as we cut through the open Indian reservations filled with Cattle, horses and the odd jackrabbit hopping over the rustic plains. This truly felt like the Wild West and I expected to see Cowboys and Indians charging alongside us. I couldn’t hear the conductor tell us we couldn’t take pictures as we passed through the Indian reservations but apparently he did. Adobe houses littering the small towns keep this land appear unchanged since the days of Geronimo and Billy the Kid.

We made it to Santa Fe in just over an hour and as we approached you could see the snow capped mountains off in the distance. It was a few minutes walk into the square and a plethora of Indian trading post stores and the local Pueblo artists with their handmade jewelry all around the square. According to the Palace of the Governors vendor program they are strictly governed to ensure you are getting authentic handmade fine art. I am drawn to the local crafts and the turquoise is just irresistible.

We took a detour off the Plaza Square and into Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic church, a gem in this small town. The buildings are almost all adobe and the bright rainbow of colors stand out against the orange buildings and blue skies.

The day was glorious and the train ride back was just as enchanting, noting the Indian Pueblo ovens in many of the homes and the odd small Adobe church peacefully nestled in between.

Sunday was spent running around doing last minute shopping and finishing off late night washing as a result of an unnamed fur child who decided to relieve herself on the blankets.



The stars are bright and we leave tomorrow to head towards the Canyons.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb