Maps For The London Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
November 17th 2005
Published: November 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

ALBUQUERQUE-LONDON

2005-12-03: 1300 dep. ABQ on Delta 339 (MD-88) 2005-12-03: 1753 arr. CVG 2005-12-03: 1900 dep. CVG on Delta 36 (767-300) 2005-12-04: 0755 arr. LGW 2005-12-07: 1000 dep. LGW on Delta 37 (767-300) 2005-12-07: 1400 arr. CVG 2005-12-07: 1810 dep. CVG on Delta 226 2005-12-07: 1933 arr. ABQ

Additional maps: GATWICK-FORUM

I've created a couple of maps for my upcoming London trip.

The first shows the route of flights from Albuquerque to London. It looks like I'll be traveling 10,434 air miles on this journey (not to mention getting to and from airports, hotels, etc.).

The second map shows how far south of London that Gatwick Airport really is. The best way into the city seems to be the Gatwick Express up to Victoria Station. Express Class costs £13.00 ($22.32) one-way or £24.00 ($41.21) return; First Class runs £20-£38 ($34.35-65.26). Since it's not part of the London Transport system, my all-region pass doesn't cover the trip from the airport (but I can use it to my heart's content once I get within the Home Counties).

There are also a number of airport shuttle companies, but the one I looked at (charging £20.00) just escorts you to the train, "assists in boarding" the train, and then they have people who meet you on the platform at Victoria and drive you the rest of the way to your hotel. I'm sure the others have a similar routine. Personally, I'd rather save the extra cash and make my own way to the hotel. The Underground is easy to use and gives you a bit more freedom, particularly since most flights arriving from the States (mine included) land early in the morning and check-in time isn't until noon or later. If the weather is disagreeable, I can always catch a taxi from the Underground station closest to my hotel to take me the remaining few blocks.

At this point, I'm tentatively planning to get a nice breakfast at Gatwick after I pass through Immigration/Customs or perhaps in the vicinity of Victoria Station after getting off the train. I can remember a few likely candidates from my last visit... Since I'll be in the area, I'll then go to Royal Albert Hall to take a few photos (I was disappointed the last time that we didn't get there) and perhaps explore a nearby museum or two (there are several). I may even check my bag at Victoria's Left Luggage office so I can go inside Harrod's and check out the Christmas displays. My hotel is on the northern side of Hyde Park so I want to remain on that side of the city (at least until after I check-in); it will probably be too cold to walk across the park from Knightsbridge to Bayswater, however. We'll see...

One last marker on the second map shows the location of the Forum, site for the Marillion concert that is the primary purpose of this trip. It's in Kentish Town in the northern part of the city; indeed, the venue used to be called Kentish Town & Country Club which is very famous in live rock music circles. (Robert Plant is playing there the night after the Marillion concert; sadly, it's sold-out so I won't be seeing him in London -- I missed him here in Albuquerque last month as well).

It's going to be a great trip. I only wish I was staying longer. I probably won't be able to return to London until February 2007 when I might be passing through on my way to the Marillion Weekend which will be held in Holland (and, of course, that depends on whether it will be cheaper to go through London or Amsterdam). I plan to make the most of the three days I'll be there.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb