New Jersy, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Lancaster


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
May 14th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After New York we caught a bus to Cherry Hill, a suburb in New Jersey (about 18 miles from Philadelphia). Here we stayed with Debbie, a friend we had met two years ago on a tour in Europe. Debbie has a beautiful house in a peaceful, almost rural like setting. It was good to have a break from hotels for a short while, and we stayed for 5 nights.

While we were there we went to a Baseball game on the Friday night and saw Philadelphia beat the Chicago Cubs 7-2, which was very enjoyable. On Saturday we drove to Lancaster (Pennsylvania), which has one of the largest populations of Amish people in the world. We took a tour through an Amish house and heard about their customs and way of life - very interesting.

On Sunday we drove East to the coast to Ocean City, which is a beachside resort town. The weather was quite cool so there wasn't much happening on the beach but it was a very enjoyable morning as we walked along the boardwalk and enjoyed the scenery. We then drove north to Atlantic City which is the gambling capital of the East Coast. Like Ocean City, Atlantic City has a boardwalk where a lot of the activity happens (the longest boardwalk in the United States), however the city itself is dominated by half a dozen or so large casinos which are visible for miles around. We didn't try our luck at the tables.

On Monday we caught the train into Phildadelphia, and spent a very enjoyable day in this interesting city. Philadelphia has a lot of history behind it and is the city where the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776. Benjamin Franklin is also buried in a cemetry in the city.

We left New Jersey on Tuesday morning, after a very enjoyable stay.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Atlantic CityAtlantic City
Atlantic City

Looking down the boardwalk at Atlantic City
Philadelphia MuseumPhiladelphia Museum
Philadelphia Museum

These are the steps that Rocky ran up in Rocky 1
Debbie's houseDebbie's house
Debbie's house

This is where we stayed for 5 nights.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb