Day 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Hampshire
October 29th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 66


Obfuscator writes: We left our campsite at Acadia at about 7:30 AM, and sadly the Ranger was already there to take our money. We drove to Bar Harbor one more time to take a look around in a nice sunny day, and visit the post office, before getting underway for New Hampshire once again. We drove a different way this time, to avoid going through the pothole ridden Hwy 1. This route took us past Bangor, and south to Augusta, where we stopped to take a look at the Maine State Capitol.

The Maine State House is pretty from the exterior. It's not as pretty as Wisconsin's, but nicer than many we've seen. A nice lady at the front desk told us all the cool things to see inside, and so we spent about an hour exploring the building. They have quite a few dead white men portraits hanging throughout, as well as a nice hall of flags where you can see replicas of lots of their old battle flags and such for Maine units. We were going to check out the nearby Museum, but we wanted to make sure we got as far as Concord, NH, so we drove
We have a theory . . .We have a theory . . .We have a theory . . .

that Maine went forward in time to steal Wisconsin's flag.
on.

We eventually arrived in Concord, at about 4:00 in the afternoon. We were fortunate and found a broken meter directly in front of their Statehouse that always read green, so we had functionally unlimited time (though it didn't really matter at that late hour). We felt like there was a gang war about to break out on their lawn, since there were two large groups of people standing around in colors, but we later discovered they were from two volunteer organizations, or something.

They have very nice statuary all over their lawn, and even more dead white men portraits all over the interior. They have even more flags than Maine as well, or at least it seemed that way. New Hampshire claims that their Statehouse is the oldest still actively being used, and it looks it. It has a nifty gold dome on top though, and it's pretty shiny on a sunny day.

The other surrounding government buildings were also pretty. We snapped a few pictures of what we could, but the sun was getting pretty low. Since I knew they had wireless access in their Statehouse, when we got back to the car, we fired it up and did some quick research to decide if we were going to camp. It turned out that there was only one campground open in the entire state, aside from the one we camped at in Franconia Notch. This one was at Monadnock State Park, which is apparently a very popular hiking destination in New Hampshire.

The camping sites at Monadnock were nice, and spacious, and only a couple other people were camping there. We made an intensely hot fire, ate, and slept.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Maine House of RepresentativesMaine House of Representatives
Maine House of Representatives

With a tour guide showing a mom and her kid around.


Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 21; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb